Relocationg The Rear Directional Lights. [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Relocationg The Rear Directional Lights.

Wadd58
05-12-2015, 10:42 AM
I have a 96 Vulcan VN1500L.
I may have to relocate the rear directional lights to make room for a set of saddle bags.
The bags I have found may be a little too long to fit between the shocks and the directional lights.

Has anyone done this before?

I was thinking of an all in one unit like the ones with the directionals are part of the brake light assembly.
Other than the wiring having to be lengthened, the holes where they were would have to be plugged in some manor.

Just looking for ideas at this time, but if the bags I have coming do not fit this may be an option.

rbentnail
05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
I have a 96 Vulcan VN1500L.
I may have to relocate the rear directional lights to make room for a set of saddle bags.
The bags I have found may be a little too long to fit between the shocks and the directional lights.

Has anyone done this before?

I was thinking of an all in one unit like the ones with the directionals are part of the brake light assembly.
Other than the wiring having to be lengthened, the holes where they were would have to be plugged in some manor.

Just looking for ideas at this time, but if the bags I have coming do not fit this may be an option.

Start at J&P Cycles. They have lots to chose from so you'll get an idea of what's available looks-wise. Then google 'vulcan 1500 tail light' and prepare to search for hrs!

Wadd58
05-21-2015, 12:58 PM
I purchased a bracket from Kuryakyn that attaches to the license plate holder on the bike. I can then attach the stock turn signals to the bracket.
The running of the wires will get a little creative.

I'll post some pics as I progress on this.

My plan is to do this this weekend, and mount the saddle bags once I get the turn signals relocated.

Wadd58
05-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Finished up relocating the turn signals and mounting the saddlebags.

The wiring di'nt come out as well as I hoped, but I will redo it this winter, I will probably put LED's on at the same time.

The bags came out well too.

I was very please with the quality and look of the Kuryakyn plate I purchased.

I chose the high mount location as I thought it would be better with the bags.

rbentnail
05-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Unless you knew better it looks factory! Good choice.

Wadd58
05-24-2015, 06:53 PM
One small hitch, I had to space the right side bag out about 5/16 of an inch and relocated the lower end of the forward bag support support.

When both my wife and I are on the bike the bag would hit on the brake caliper and the forward bag support would rest on top of the brake caliper.

Once I had that small detail taken care of the bike rode like a champ!

Wadd58
05-27-2015, 09:57 PM
We have been out for a couple of rides since I relocated the turn signals. No issues, and I haven't been pulled over by the cops, so I guess the location is OK with them!

rbentnail
05-28-2015, 09:23 AM
We have been out for a couple of rides since I relocated the turn signals. No issues, and I haven't been pulled over by the cops, so I guess the location is OK with them!

Everyone worries about cops- is this legal, is that illegal? IMHO if you're not being an a**hole on the road the cops don't give a hoot about what stinkin' turn signals you have. They got better things to do with their time.

DrummerDave
05-31-2015, 02:09 AM
Everyone worries about cops- is this legal, is that illegal? IMHO if you're not being an a**hole on the road the cops don't give a hoot about what stinkin' turn signals you have. They got better things to do with their time.

Your absolutely right on that.