Oil level check after oil change [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Oil level check after oil change

Archelangelo
09-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to motorcycle, just got my first bike, a 2009 Kawasaki ER6N. Today I did an oil change on her and had a problem with the oil level.

So I filled the oil up to the upper level as specified by the Owner's Manual and started the bike. After the engine got started, the oil level went higher and almost top off the oil check window. When I shut down the engine the oil level went back to normal. It goes up every time I turn on the engine.

I don't know what's going on. I assume the oil level should stay the same whether or not the engine is running, right? Do you guys have any idea what's going on? Please help me out. Thanks!

Oil level with engine running:
Oil level while engine's off:

martin-csr
09-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Did you replace the oil filter? How much oil did you add? Are you checking the oil level with the motorcycle level?

Archelangelo
09-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Did you replace the oil filter? How much oil did you add? Are you checking the oil level with the motorcycle level?

Yes I changed the filter. The bike is upright when I check the level. I'm not sure how much I put in, around half a gallon I guess. I was consistently checking the oil level while filling (with my bike upright) and stopped filling when the level reached the upper line as indicated in the owner's manual.

rbentnail
09-06-2015, 11:31 AM
It's fine. Ride it!

Archelangelo
09-06-2015, 09:14 PM
It's fine. Ride it!

Awesome! Thanks!

Being a newbie, I'm just nervous about every single thing...

rbentnail
09-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Awesome! Thanks!

Being a newbie, I'm just nervous about every single thing...

Understandable. Trust your owners manual.