Let's trade experiences on the Voyager/Vaquero recall [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Let's trade experiences on the Voyager/Vaquero recall

Philippe721
09-28-2015, 09:46 PM
I got the recall notice from Kawasaki about the "Ignition switch wires" recall.

I called two dealers to find out how they will handle it.

At first I called the dealer where I bought it and the guy in service said that I would have to drop the bike and would not get it back from 5 to 10 days depending on how long it would take to get the part from California. He said they had a policy that they could not order the part unless they had the bike (presumably to hold it hostage!) because if I got it done somewhere else they would be stuck with the part.

Then, I called the owner and after I reminded him that I bought the bike from him he agreed to order the part that Kawasaki is adding to prevent future chafing of the wires. They will call me when they have the part and it will take only 30 minutes to put on (apparently it goes under the tank).
He also said that should they find chafing on the wires I would not be able to get the bike back until they get the wire kit from California and that would take 5 to 7 days.(I am in Georgia)
If no chafing is found I will be good to go.
He said newer bike should not have any chafing but they have to check.
However he also says that right now the wire kits are on back-order.

Since it is a recall for ALL Voyagers and Vaqueros from 2009 to 2015, I am assuming you all got it as well.

I called another dealer (out of curiosity) and they said that since it was a "safety issue" I had to drop the bike and they would not let me ride it again until the problem was fixed, no matter how long it took. When I asked "could it take a month?", he replies "Possibly"....I just hung-up the phone.

Let's hear it!
What has been your experience with this issue??

Thanks

rbentnail
09-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Can't speak directly to your issue since I own neither of these bikes but I can say from direct experience with Yamaha's recalls that the experience is exactly the same. Dealerships will not order the part until they have the bike and since it's "safety related" they refuse to return your bike until the recall is done. And just like you they will not commit to a date. All I heard was "we get it when they send it". What a crockpot of BS!! One guy on the west coast it took 4 days, another in the east it took 2 months. I had 1 recall done, took 3 days. I never have had the other done, I just do some preventative maintenance every yr and it's a non-issue. I figure if I find I need the recall done I'll drop the bike off about Jan 5th. That way the holiday distractions are over and it's the worst weather for me anyway.

Philippe721
09-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Rbentnails, you have a good point, I should have waited till January. The reason I wanted them to order the part, which they did, is because they are located 25 miles away

rbentnail
09-29-2015, 12:44 PM
My nearest dealerships are about 40 miles away. 1 of them has already broken plastic bits on my bike, the other turned me away when I told them what bike model/yr I wanted to buy. I wouldn't trust either of them to clean the dog dookie out of my yard without screwing it up.

Demolition-Man
10-04-2015, 04:25 AM
Germany :

Got the recall here in germany. (okay, my bike is model 2015 with 2200kms on) Went to the nearest dealer (havent bought the bike there). We made a "date" to check on week later. He check the wires under than tank. Everything okay, so he ordered the "small" kit to isolate the ignition wires. Went home with the bike and the next week got a new appointment and the had them installed. No problems at all.

IF the cables have a signs of wear, it will take much longer, because the not only has the change them and the ignition lock, the also has to change ALL other locks, due to the one key system. If I counted correctly, there will be EIGHT locks to change.

Cu,
Sven

rbentnail
10-04-2015, 11:26 AM
IF the cables have a signs of wear, it will take much longer, because the not only has the change them and the ignition lock, the also has to change ALL other locks, due to the one key system. If I counted correctly, there will be EIGHT locks to change.

Cu,
Sven
That seems kind of silly :-?. Why not just re-pin the lockset that's changed out to match the others? One of Yamaha's recalls did that to maintain the one key system.

Big Ed
10-05-2015, 07:08 AM
The recall came out on the day that I picked up my bike. The dealer told me that since there was a zero percent chance that the wires were chafed, he would have the parts there when I did my 600 mile checkup. As I planned on doing the checkup anyway, it works out well.

rbentnail
10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
The recall came out on the day that I picked up my bike. The dealer told me that since there was a zero percent chance that the wires were chafed, he would have the parts there when I did my 600 mile checkup. As I planned on doing the checkup anyway, it works out well.
A happy story! How unusual :).

Demolition-Man
10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
That seems kind of silly :-?. Why not just re-pin the lockset that's changed out to match the others? One of Yamaha's recalls did that to maintain the one key system.

I don't know ! That's what I was told at the dealership here in germany.

Cu,
Sven

Philippe721
10-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Got the call today. The part is in. I'll ride to the dealer first thing Thursday morning.
I will update this post as to what happened.

Philippe721
10-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Got it done with no problem at all. In and out in 30 minutes.