Just acquired a CSR 650...need home help. [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Just acquired a CSR 650...need home help.

MsChelsy
03-11-2016, 09:56 PM
I just got a 1981 Kawasaki CSR 650 and I am looking for a rigid frame, but all I am finding are rigid frames for KZ1000 and KZ650. Are they the same Engine? what makes it a CSR? We are Harley folk and dont know anything about these, but are looking to make a killer bobber. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Chelsy

martin-csr
03-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Your bike is an 81 KZ650-H1 CSR. or 650-CSR. there were also the 82/83 H2/H3 models. Your engine should fit into any 650 frame, but it's different from the earlier 650s as it has a Hy-Vo cam chain w slipper type cam chain guides. The csr has electronic ignition & a 3-phase charging system. The earlier models had points ignition & I think some of the earlier 650s had a different charging system. Other than the engine fitment, the earlier frames are different, so your seat, body parts & some other stuff may not be a direct fit.

Instead of getting a new frame, you could install struts. doing that would be cheaper & easier. just a suggestion.

1981 KZ650-CSR w KZ550-Ltd wheels KZ750E muffler system & ZX10 Fr rotor bolts. hee.
http://i.imgur.com/aeZVJVq.jpg

MsChelsy
03-12-2016, 12:15 PM
I think I messed something up before so Im sorry if you get a double post from me. I would ike completely do away with the frame that is on there now, Id like to add a rigid frame to make a bobber out of it. something like the attached picture

I have a full fabrication shop available to so I can do any add ons necessary, but changing the frame is a must. If you could direct me towards something like I am looking for Id really appreciate it. Thank you

-Chelsy

martin-csr
03-12-2016, 12:37 PM
I don't know of any place where you could get a rigid frame. I think DimeCityCycles has rear hoops & maybe some other frame stuff. What most folks do is make the necessary changes to a stock frame, cutting off what isn't needed & welding-on new stuff. if you cut off the rear of the frame, be sure to add a rear hoop or cross bracing (commonly overlooked).

The CSR is kind of a mini-chopper & the frame is more raked than most other 650 frames. A 1000 frame is probably too big. As for a donor frame: any KZ650 or KZ750-4 chain drive or KZ700.

MsChelsy
03-12-2016, 05:04 PM
I don't know of any place where you could get a rigid frame. I think DimeCityCycles has rear hoops & maybe some other frame stuff. What most folks do is make the necessary changes to a stock frame, cutting off what isn't needed & welding-on new stuff. if you cut off the rear of the frame, be sure to add a rear hoop or cross bracing (commonly overlooked).

The CSR is kind of a mini-chopper & the frame is more raked than most other 650 frames. A 1000 frame is probably too big. As for a donor frame: any KZ650 or KZ750-4 chain drive or KZ700.

Thanks a bunch.My quest will continue. If you guys have anything to add please feel free. THis is a project for down the road and im just trying to familiarize myself with this particular bike.I will check tht place out for the rear section.

martin-csr
03-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Okey doke. I forgot to add that the CSR badge doesn't really mean anything, but it indicates that a bike will have Ltd type styling, having more chrome & a cruiser-type look compared to the standard Kawasaki models. most CSRs came w wire spoked wheels.

Repair manual. the jarlef z650 site has a pdf manual in the Files section. click! (http://www.jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650.htm). ... Good luck!

MsChelsy
03-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Okey doke. I forgot to add that the CSR badge doesn't really mean anything, but it indicates that a bike will have Ltd type styling, having more chrome & a cruiser-type look compared to the standard Kawasaki models. most CSRs came w wire spoked wheels.

Repair manual. the jarlef z650 site has a pdf manual in the Files section. click! (http://www.jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650.htm). ... Good luck!

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time out to help with this. I will post updates as I start the build.

-Chelsy

martin-csr
03-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Does the engine run? If not, I would do the stuff necessary to get it up & running before doing anything else. The Kawasaki KZ650 is a fast, nimble, high performance motorcycle with excellent fuel economy. From your photo it appears to have been neglected & probably wasn't properly maintained. with that in mind & remembering that it's now a 35-yr old bike, don't blame Kawasaki for any problems you may encounter.
blame the previous owner or the weather or time. hee.