First time riding in 9 years [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

First time riding in 9 years

Maintaink
03-18-2016, 12:13 AM
I used to ride a lot when i was younger. (Rhode Island)
The person who made the main income for my family had some drug problems and thus ended my riding for the time being. I am 22 now and i last road at 13.
I don't want to go into detail on the other events.
But as of the last year i have been watching videos and just getting interested in the sport again.

This is my way of finding what bike I should buy because I have no idea, as when i was that young i just threw on a helmet and road. (only dirt back then) and haven't road since.

I think i'd like a supermoto or dirtbike converted to one. As I do want to hang wheelies again not that i did for more than a few seconds when I was younger; but me and my cousin shared a bike and tried to out do each other all the time (yamaha 80 or something around that number can't really recall). Now that i'm older id like a bike that can hang a wheelie as long as physically possible while being street legal(in RI), but if it is street legal vs wheelie I will take the street legal since anywhere close to my area is pretty much housing/business or dense areas of trees.

ricksza
03-18-2016, 05:39 AM
First, welcome to the forum.

I would start with the MSF Course (http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx). It's an essential class to teach you how to save your hide on the street and can usually give you a discount on your insurance. You will learn street essentials on their bike. You will need your own helmet, gloves & boots.

Personally, I would start off on the small side, like a used Ninja 300. They're inexpensive to purchase, repair when dropped and easy to resell when you outgrow. It's enough to have fun but not too powerful to get your self into too much trouble. Too many people go too powerful for their first bike, lose control, crash and burn. Don't think about wheelies until you have mastered the bike on it's own. Check out Wheelies (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+wheelies+gone+wron g)

Hot Cruiser
03-18-2016, 02:32 PM
If your main objective in getting back into motorcycle is to hang wheelies then you should make certain that you have very good protective riding gear and also good medical insurance.

anrfknm
03-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Take the motorcycle safety course to renew your skills and learn a few new ones. Once you have your motorcycle endorsement test ride a few used bikes to see what fits.

OldSportRider
03-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Agree with ricksza, start with a smaller bike and move up when ready. The bigger sport bikes are super powerful and the front end will come up even when you don't want it to.

killer rabbit
03-24-2016, 12:16 PM
More old fart chat like you should have heard from your father but the above mentioned statements are correct. You have seen enough Youtubes to know what idiots do to hurt themselves and trash perfectly good bikes. I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course a few years ago with my son who went from a non-rider to a good one in one week, and I learned a few things that corrected my riding of 40 years experience. We all just want you to live long enough to teach your kids to ride someday.