1100 ltd oily side cover [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

1100 ltd oily side cover

tepar
05-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Recently purchased a 1985 1100 LTD. Nice, fun old bike that reminds me of the kz 900 I had years ago. I found the oil level to be about a qt over full, not good, but I loosened the drain plug and now have correct oil level. I noticed oil at the top of the left side cover and some below the carbs. It is a small amount but annoying and a little concerning. I know being over full on oil can cause oil to be sucked into places it shouldn't be. Will the oily side cover clear up? Any ideas? Thank you from a new guy.

wiredgeorge
05-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Further questions about your new scoot should likely be in the vintage section to get the best response. When you overfill the crankcase with oil, it has more pressure in the crankcase and will blow out the crank breather and may also blow engine seals from the excess pressure. After you drained the oil, clean up the oil and see if you find more. I doubt you will as there are no oil seals near the top of the left side cover. On the left is the seal around the crank under a cover, the seal where the stator wires go through the cover and the shift shaft and none of those should be prone to blowing to my mind. Just keep an eye on it for re-appearance of oil in that area. How is your crankcase breather vented? That might give you a clue as to why you found oil where you did.