New (to me) Bike [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

New (to me) Bike

T Gibbs
06-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Hey all,
I haven't been on in a while and when I was it was in the cruisers section. Last week I traded in my VN900 for a 2012 1700 Voyager. It has Cobra Exhaust, possibly slip ons. I've noticed that it pops a lot on deceleration. My 900 would pop if I let it decel, then got back in the throttle, but this is on deceleration without getting back in it. Anybody know a remedy for this?

Julius Michael Honrada
07-12-2016, 07:54 AM
if the exhaust had been changed , it would probably have a different air fuel mixture now and its running lean on idle to 1/4th throttle , you can go for a bigger pilot jet .

or if the bike's carb have not been cleaned for a long time , try that first before messing with jettings.

RoadRunner322
07-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Isn't the 2012 Voyager fuel injected? I think so. I would think the fuel injection would compensate for the new lower exhaust pressure. But, opening up the exhaust does tend to lean out the fuel mixture and that could cause the popping back. I wonder if anything else was done to the bike when the new exhaust was installed.

Bluemeanie
07-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Yep, the 1700's are fuel injected. Was anything other than the exhaust done? Air intake, fuel processor etc?

T Gibbs
07-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Yep, the 1700's are fuel injected. Was anything other than the exhaust done? Air intake, fuel processor etc?

No. It looks like the Cobra slip-ons are the only modification that has been done. I'm thinking I need to get a processor. Does anyone here know anything about the Wiseco fuel processor? I saw that they are less expensive than the FI2000. I had a FI2000 on my 900 and it worked well. It still popped occasionally, but nothing like the 1700 is doing.

Bluemeanie
07-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Another option would be to send the ecu to Ivan's performance for a reflash.

T Gibbs
07-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Another option would be to send the ecu to Ivan's performance for a reflash.

That sounds like it may be the way to go. I'll probably wait until the weather gets cold then send it in. It's hard to be without my bike when it's riding weather.

RoadRunner322
07-17-2016, 09:44 PM
T Gibbs, give us a review of the Voyager if you will. I think it has a single pin crank doesn't it? Does is sound like a harley with loud pipes? How is the power for the weight? fuel mileage? etc.? From what I've read it sounds better than a Harley to me with the water cooling, engine counter balancers, and fuel injection.
Thanks!

gjp627
07-17-2016, 11:30 PM
I've rode the Harley Road king 103 cuin. I bought the Kaw 1700 classic new in 2012, Kaw has more power and a better rpm to shift range. No problems in the last 33,000 miles. still with the stock pipes though, and factory battery....nothing can sound like a Harley...unless you change the cylinder angles and cam. Kawasaki runs a more forgiving angle between their cylinders

T Gibbs
07-18-2016, 11:53 AM
T Gibbs, give us a review of the Voyager if you will. I think it has a single pin crank doesn't it? Does is sound like a harley with loud pipes? How is the power for the weight? fuel mileage? etc.? From what I've read it sounds better than a Harley to me with the water cooling, engine counter balancers, and fuel injection.
Thanks!

I've only had it a month, but so far I LOVE IT! My only comparison is to a VN900, but it has a lot more power than it. I love the 6 speed tranny. I get around 40 mpg consistently, according to the display on the bike. Yesterday we did around 200 miles on everything from mountain roads to interstate highways. Everybody else refueled at 120 miles. I still had almost 1/2 a tank. I pushed it the rest of the way. When I got home the fuel light was on, so I stopped at a gas station near my house and it held 4.2 gallons. That means I had 1.2 gallons still in the tank. It handles the twisty mountain roads very well, too. I was behind my buddy on an 1800 Gold Wing, and I stayed right with him. We were hauling ass through the curves. I can put it in 4th gear and run the curvy roads without having to shift up and down. It has the power to pull out of a curve at 25-30 mph in 4th. Then go up to 50-55 without shifting, before braking for the next one.
I can put a passenger on it and tell no difference in power. It rides the same with or without a passenger.
I did put a Mustang seat on it and Kuryakyn grips, because I hate the Kawasaki stock seats and grips. This stock seat isn't quite as bad as the 900, but It still doesn't compare to a Mustang.

Mine has Cobra (slip ons?) It doesn't sound like a HD, but it does have a nice deep rumble. The only complaint I have is that it puts off a lot of heat, a lot more than my 900 did. I still don't think it runs as hot as the Harleys. My buddy has a HD and he said in traffic he's looking for places to put his feet because they get so hot.

RoadRunner322
07-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a great bike!
I thought the single pin crank was what gave the Harleys their sound.

T Gibbs
07-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a great bike!
I thought the single pin crank was what gave the Harleys their sound.

I think it's the angle of the cylinders. Another thing about the Harleys, they have separate oil reservoirs for engine and transmission. I know they can idle a lot lower than the Kawasaki. I tried idling my 900 down to sound like a Harley and the FI light came on.

RoadRunner322
07-19-2016, 10:22 AM
I read an on-line test of police bikes and they checked everything. One thing that stood out was the oil temperature specification on the Harleys. According to Harley, an engine oil temperature of up to 410 degrees F is acceptable! Incredible! Water cooling is the way.