New Guy Here! [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

New Guy Here!

seanc34
07-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Hey all,

First of all thanks for reading my post, obviously I am new to this forum. I finished my motorcycle safety class last week and am getting ready to make a purchase. Hopefully this forum will be a place for me to gain valuable insight into safe riding practices & allow me to share experiences.

Background:
I'm a 25 year old male, living in Seal Beach, CA ( working in Los Angeles County). Originally from San Diego, but have been working out of Cincinnati, OH the last few years prior to getting my recent relocation offer. I'm owned quads and dirt bikes in the past, however am new to the motorcycle community. I figured with beautiful coastline there is no better time than now.

Experience:

As I mentioned above, all of my previous experience has been with off-road vehicles( both 4 and 2 wheeled).

Question:

I wanted to get some opinions on the 2015 Vulcan S ABS as a first bike. I'm about 5'10-5'11 without shoes on and weight in at about 208 currently. This bike will be used for leisure only, as I still have my main vehicle for daily commuting etc. I've been shopping around and am having a difficult time realizing whether or not I am getting good quotes, as many of the fees are suspiciously high. It is obvious that the salesmen know I am a newbie.

Here's a breakdown on one offer I was quoted:
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
$5999 sale price of bike
$1,171- dealer fees, shipping, set up of bike, flooring, insurance, dealer paperwork, preparation, etc.
$80 DMV documentation fee
$580 sales tax
$131- License fee
$3.50 Ca Environmental tire fee

Grand Total: $7964.50

I understand they are running a business and as a professional do realize that some margin must be made. However, I wanted to check if these fees seem standard or if I need to haggle.

Well, thanks for reading my post. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some new friends ( either local or virtual) in the riding community through this forum.

Cheers!

- Sean