advice on a first bike please! [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

advice on a first bike please!

2wheeledems
11-13-2016, 03:26 AM
This is my first post so HELLO nice to meet you all. HAD SOME QUESTIONS. I wanted to start on a Honda cb500f I like the naked bikes but i couldn't afford the third vehicle payment for a brand new 7000 bike and I can't pay it up front. My buddy has basically just given me his bike because he doesn't ride it is a 1986 kawasaki voyages 1200cc. This is my first bike to own. Its been a while but I've riden in the past, not extensively im still a newbie, just dirt bikes mostly and a few times on a buddies 600cc sport bike, But its been a few years. Anyways sorry to drone on. I'm 5 10 and 150 lbs I can comfortable throw the bike back and forth between my legs standing flat foot for the most part but haven't rode any on it because I have to get a new battery. Is this to much bike for a beginner should I just hold out and buy something with less power? What's your opinion? I don't know what the throttle response or how sensitive this bike is because I haven't been on it, hoping someone else has.

ricksza
11-13-2016, 06:10 AM
Personally, I would start with something smaller that would be more forgiving if you make a mistake. In a year or so, you may want to more up or have two.

I hope you've taken the MSF Course (http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx). It's an essential class to teach you how to save your hide on the street and can usually give you a discount on your insurance.

If you're looking for a battery, you might want to check out Chrome Battery Co (https://www.chromebattery.com/). I put one in my bike this past season.
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae338/ricksza/Web%20Links/2pennies.gif

martin-csr
11-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Since you already know how to ride, I'd guess a 600 or 750 would be more suitable. A Voyager is probably going to be a handful & I think one of those weighs about 700 lbs or so. How long has the bike been sitting? It's already old & if it hasn't been used in a while, it might be a pain to get it into a suitable riding condition as age can affect stuff & it may be overdue for a lot of periodic maintenance.

Battery. I got a Scorpion AGM battery from batterystuff.com over a year ago & am very pleased with it. The voltage was 12.79 VDC straight out of the box & it holds its charge quite well. I also have a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 digital multimeter.

Hot Cruiser
11-13-2016, 12:25 PM
I agree with ricksza. Strongly suggest taking the MSF course and consider starting out with a lighter bike than with a Voyager until you feel competent and safe on the road. About batteries, for my VN900 I have a Caltric AGM which cost $35 about a year go via Ebay and on which I received an Ebay discount of $10, so the final cost was $25 and with excellent customer service.

RoadRunner322
11-13-2016, 02:15 PM
The voyager is not a good bike to learn or re-learn how to ride on. You will be an accident waiting to happen. Get a little bike and ride it a few thousand miles first.

2manybikes
11-26-2016, 08:25 PM
+1 on what everyone else said. Are you set up with new safety gear too? That alone, should be your first concern. Learning to ride on a bike that weighs over 4 times what you do, is worse than an accident waiting to happen. 200-500 CC's is plenty big enough to learn on, it's the basic's you need to learn, they will also apply to a larger bike in the future. I hope you give this some serious thought. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just offering my honest opinion on the question you posted. Good luck!