Fuel pump parts 1600 mean streak... [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Fuel pump parts 1600 mean streak...

Meanstreaker1978
03-27-2017, 11:35 PM
Does anyone have a part number for just the pump portion of the fuel pump assembly? I've heard that there's a mitsubishi part number that will replace it, but I can't seem to find it...thanks.

sfair
03-28-2017, 12:58 AM
Why do you think your pump is bad?

Meanstreaker1978
03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Key cycle on no pump noise...pulled pump positive and negative battery test, wouldn't spool...can I just get a direct answer to my question? I'm not a newbie, and I've done all the tests leading up to this diagnostic...

sfair
03-28-2017, 02:16 PM
How am I supposed to know you are not a "newbie"?
Many folks just throw parts at a problem without any troubleshooting.
Good luck in finding the answer to your question...

Meanstreaker1978
03-31-2017, 05:30 PM
SFair I'm gonna beg for your forgiveness here after seeing all the electrical diagnostics you have helped people through...you are a patient genius...I am sorry for the response being the way it was

That being said, I stabbed at it and managed to find a pump with the same lph flow rate and rebuilt the pump...
New problem (if you can forgive me for my insolence) I now have fuel and spark, but no start...fuel is coming through and back through the return lines...I don't think I have any injector pulse...I have a bolt meter and a power probe and I'm gonna start chasing down the problem...any advice you have to get started would be an amazing help...

sfair
03-31-2017, 06:12 PM
1. What year is the bike?
2. How many miles?
3. How long have you owned?
4. What was the original problem?

Meanstreaker1978
03-31-2017, 06:41 PM
2005 kawasaki Vulcan 1600 mean streak. 14000 miles...I bought it a week ago not running...spin it over to ensure compression and a free moving motor...
Story from the previous guy was that he laid it down...attempted to pull off the tins for a repaint...out the seat back on after having the battery out and then the bike would run but it ran "bad"...cracking and popping on throttle rev...I know that's vague but that's what I was told...
What I have done
Found out that the fuel pump wasn't cycling...put a new filter and rotary pump in the fuel pump assembly that had the same, or close anyway LPH flow rate...put the pump in and now hearing the pump cycle as it should...pulled the return line and it has good fuel flow with pump cycling...so key on ignition off cycles the pump for about 4 to5 seconds then it kicks off...
I put a spark tester on all 4 spark plugs and have nice blue spark...attempted to start the bike and all it would do is spin over...pulled spark plugs out and they are dry as a bone with no fuel smell...my next step was going to be to re pull the tank and test for power at the injectors...but I am not a strong electrical diag guy so I plead for knowledge and patience
Any help would be appreciated...

Meanstreaker1978
03-31-2017, 06:44 PM
The bike also had an aftermarket alarm system with a remote start...I very carefully removed the entire alarm system, being careful to note what came out of where...it's off the bike now, however...

sfair
03-31-2017, 08:55 PM
I recommend that you do a fuel pressure test.

Tools are available at Harbor Freight.

Meanstreaker1978
03-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Would fuel pressure prevent the injectors from pulsing? It has substantial fuel pressure, I'm just not sure how much...
I'm only asking because I just replaced the pump with a pump that has approx the same flow rate...

sfair
03-31-2017, 10:32 PM
I have to ask:

1. How do you know the injectors are not opening?
2. What if the fuel pressure regulator is faulty.

You replaced the pump for a reason (bad) and it was replaced with a non-OEM unit, so now the fuel system has to be verified that it is up to specifications, or it will remain suspect. Correct fuel pressure is critical in an FI system.

Meanstreaker1978
04-01-2017, 12:02 AM
I can't verify that they are or are not opening...
I am assuming the bike has sat for a while with no fuel in it...the pump was already out of the bike when I purchased it, and it never even tried to spool...
I checked for power at the red and white wire and had 12.5 volts...

The pulse side had 12.5 until I cycled the starter switch, and then it had intermitten ground, so I know the pulse is there...
Removed both injectors and noted a varnish old gas smell from the body of the injectors...I'm not sure if theyre functioning at all

Meanstreaker1978
04-01-2017, 12:03 AM
I will wrangle up a pressure tester tomorrow...what should the pressure be?

Meanstreaker1978
04-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Hooked the injectors back up to the throttle body and cycled the starter...no fuel coming from the injectors...no spray...no nothing...again I will check pressure at the pump tomorrow...

sfair
04-01-2017, 10:32 AM
1. Key on, 44lbs.
2. At end of cycle, hold 41lbs for 30 seconds.

Meanstreaker1978
04-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Ok...yep...lesson learned...pressure is too high...

Ordered the correct fuel pump...
On another note, I pulled the injectors to try a stand alone test on the injectors...lead to a nine volt battery... touched them to the injector and no noise...couple more touches and I barely heard a very faint tick...I put a little alcohol down in the injector and let it sit, then I emptied it and started pulsing the injector again...tick started getting louder...few more cycles and it was sounding strong...so I mixed some hi test with a little Lucas injector lubricant, hooked a hose to the back of the injector and provided 20 psi pressure while I pulsed the injector, and voila! Injector is working again! I repeated the process with the other injector and it's now functioning again also! I'm gonna clean the throttle body while it's out and I'll put it all back together by Wednesday and see what happens...

sfair
04-02-2017, 12:16 AM
Good work!

Meanstreaker1978
04-07-2017, 10:51 AM
OK! Correct fuel pump installed, working injectors with new Owings, got it all put back together at about 11pm last night, hit the starter, and voila! She came to life! Thanks for the direction and the help, Sfair! My 900 dollar Vulcan Mean Streak is aliiive!

sfair
04-07-2017, 12:07 PM
See post # 17!!!