09 Ninja 650R Won't Start! [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

09 Ninja 650R Won't Start!

BrewonTwo
06-01-2017, 09:52 PM
So here's the scoop I have a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. The bike has an aftermarket Two Brothers Racing slip on exhaust. As i've been riding the bike over the past 2 months I've noticed quite a few backfires but mostly on deceleration/downshifting or upshifting. The other day I rode to get coffee, when I came out to leave I started my bike and it died in about 3 seconds. Upon trying to restart the bike it would just turn over but not fire. I got it started and and drove down the road and it died again and would not restart. While pushing it home i would stop every so often and try to start it, it would just turn over and sometimes backfire. The next day i tried to start it and it backfired very very loudly so I stopped. The FI light comes on when im trying to start it as well. Since then I have replaced both spark plugs, I also checked the battery which reads 12.2V and I even put the battery in my other bike and it started it fine. Ill post a link to a video showing exactly what the bike is doing while it sits now. Also i might as well mention that after quite a few attempts of turning it over you can start to smell gas. Checked for leaks and see none. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Heres the link to the video- https://youtu.be/E8Mbl6Y6e8M

-BrewonTwo

sfair
06-02-2017, 12:24 AM
If after initial key on, FI light does not go out after a few seconds, there is a stored error code which will have to be retrieved.

BrewonTwo
06-02-2017, 03:15 AM
The FI light does go out.

sfair
06-02-2017, 11:06 AM
The next step would be to check for spark.

imported_cookie_monster
07-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Check the throttle bodies to make sure they're not out of the boots. Seen a few of them that a good backfire will pop the throttles out of the rubber intake manifold; and will also throw a code for the inlet air pressure sensor. Have you checked the codes yet?

imported_cookie_monster
09-22-2017, 11:22 PM
Been there, done that on these. Put a set of spark plugs in it and go ride. Keep spares. They are known to foul a plug or two, especially with aftermarket exhaust-for whatever reason.