Looking [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Looking

SailorJ459
08-11-2017, 05:58 AM
Go by the Name of SailorJ or Jay is fine .. Don't own a Kawasaki at this time but is a quite possible option as looking for something a bit lighter at my age the Beast I own is getting pretty heavy that a bit uncomfortable with it at slow speeds and parking .. Live in North Florida and Look Forward to Finding More about the Kawasaki Makes, more than likely a Cruiser Model ..

Mike Reed
08-11-2017, 06:43 AM
What bike do you have now? I saw an old gentlemen drop a big harley in a parking lot recently. He had to get help to get it up. (the harley that is) Not to be heretical, but have you considered a modern scooter? Some are very capable and stable. I am 59 and a returning rider. I was considering a scooter for a while until i drove by an 87 KZ1000 police model. (CHIPS show bike). Took it home to Tampa. Some youthful dreams just have to be fulfilled.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

SailorJ459
08-12-2017, 04:26 AM
What bike do you have now? I saw an old gentlemen drop a big harley in a parking lot recently. He had to get help to get it up. (the harley that is) Not to be heretical, but have you considered a modern scooter? Some are very capable and stable. I am 59 and a returning rider. I was considering a scooter for a while until i drove by an 87 KZ1000 police model. (CHIPS show bike). Took it home to Tampa. Some youthful dreams just have to be fulfilled.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

I am 67 and Ride an Ultra Classic ..

martin-csr
08-12-2017, 08:21 AM
Kawasaki Vulcans are heavy. Dry, the 2000 weighs about 675#. the 1500 is around 625#. the VN800 is over 525# & the VN750 is almost 500#. or thereabouts on all of them. dry, so add the weight of the fluids & fuel. about 8# per gallon or 2# per quart.

For comparison a Z750S is about 430# and a ZR7S is 450#. I listed those two, since they might have a more upright riding position & don't have that over-the-top sportbike look of the more modern models. in case you don't like the plastic fantastic crotch rockets. hee.

SailorJ459
08-12-2017, 06:45 PM
For comparison a Z750S is about 430# and a ZR7S is 450#. I listed those two, since they might have a more upright riding position & don't have that over-the-top sportbike look of the more modern models. in case you don't like the plastic fantastic crotch rockets. hee.

Think a bit old for a crotch rocket style .. Actually I like the Concourse but a bit too high high for my 29" Inseam ..

martin-csr
08-13-2017, 10:28 AM
motorcyclespecs.co.za has the specifications for a number of motorcycles & usually including the seat height.
You could check Hondas & other makes to see if their models are lighter or more suitable than a Vulcan.
I'm guessing you'd have to get a smaller cruiser for a lower seat. just a guess.
maybe a Vulcan 500 or whatever comparable model Honda makes. maybe a Yamaha V Star. et al. ???

Forget about the styling for a minute & just look around to see what models have a good riding position etc.
My neighbor is in his mid to late 60s & rides a Yamaha FZ1 1000. He's about 5'-8" to 5'-10 & probably weighs 150#s or so.

rbentnail
08-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Think a bit old for a crotch rocket style .. Actually I like the Concourse but a bit too high high for my 29" Inseam ..
I still tell people some 10 yrs after the fact that if I were about 40 lbs heavier and 3" taller I'd be on a Connie. It's just too tall for my 29.5" inseam. Take a look at Yamaha's FJR- smaller, lighter, just as zippy. With routine maintenance they go on and on and on. I know- I bought mine new in Jan 2008, still riding it. On July 16th of this year I rolled 100,000 miles on it. No, not kidding!

waldowales
08-21-2017, 10:38 PM
I recently traded a 2003 Vulcan Nomad and a 2016 Honda CB500, and got a 2016 Versys 650LT. Nearly as easy to ride around town as the Honda, not quite as nice on the freeway as the Nomad, but has bags almost as large as the Nomad. It weighs right at 500 lbs. wet, against nearly 850 for the Nomad. I had to admit that the Nomad was just too heavy for my beat up 77 year old body to be comfortable with, although I loved it dearly. The Versys is one tall bike, but a lowering link helped that a whole lot. It is surprisingly fast. I haven't had it to the drag strip as it isn't really broken in yet, but I plan to Sept. 1st, I'm expecting quarter mile times of low 13s, and the mileage is running between 48 and 51 mpg, mostly around town. I do feel like it is a step back to have a messy, greasy old chain to take care of. I liked the shaft drives on the last three Vulcans I owned. It is great to be able to lay it down, (carefully, on rugs in the garage) and pick it up with no strain. Boosts my confidence when I go off alone way off the beaten path.