zn1300 Voyager wont start [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

zn1300 Voyager wont start

BRI-GUY-GA
11-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Picked up a zn1300 for cheap and not can't get it to start. Have spark and fuel pump is doing its thing. I push starter button and sometimes it turns over then stops and clicks then try's again, other times it just clicks. The battery is new. I replaced a cracked starter clutch and have another starter solenoid, but am running out of ideas.

I am also getting a code 23 on the ECU.

Any thoughts?

If you happen to be in the Atlanta area and would like to lend a hand before I give up and part it out it would be appreciated.

sfair
11-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Code 23 is missing timing signals from ignition system.

Are you SURE you have spark to all 6 plugs?

BRI-GUY-GA
11-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Yes, all 6 have spark. Will check again this weekend though. The book doesn't say what to do further for code 23 sadly. I cleaned and re-gapped them all and tested spark.

Suggestions?

RoadRunner322
11-14-2017, 08:45 PM
I just googled that code and read that it is cam position sensor. Does your bike have one of those?

Spray a little starter fluid in the air inlet. Don't over do it.

You probably need to go through the bike cleaning electrical connections.

https://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6626

sfair
11-14-2017, 11:20 PM
No cam sensor on this engine.

A code 23 will probably cause a no-start as there will be no timing for the injection.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-15-2017, 08:33 AM
No cam sensor on this engine.

A code 23 will probably cause a no-start as there will be no timing for the injection.

Ok, where do I start troubleshooting? Would the code 23 cause it to crank weakly or not at all?

sfair
11-15-2017, 10:48 AM
No. That is a separate issue.
Do you have a meter? If so, can you post make and model# of it for my reference.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-15-2017, 10:56 AM
meter? If you mean a multi-meter it is a harbor freight unit. Cen-Tech 7 funtion unit. Cheap I know, but its all I have.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html

sfair
11-15-2017, 11:41 AM
It will work fine.

Could you do the following:

1. Take voltage reading across battery.
2. Turn on key and take another reading.
3. Leave key on for five minutes and then take another reading.
4. Turn off key, wait five minutes and take another reading.

Post back with 4 readings.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-15-2017, 11:44 AM
will do.

Thanks for the help.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-20-2017, 09:39 PM
It will work fine.

Could you do the following:

1. Take voltage reading across battery.
2. Turn on key and take another reading.
3. Leave key on for five minutes and then take another reading.
4. Turn off key, wait five minutes and take another reading.

Post back with 4 readings.

initial reading 12.71
with key on 12.48
5 minutes 12.28
after 5 minutes 12.31

I tried to start and it cranked a little, but no start.

sfair
11-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Battery looks not to bad.

1. Why did you replace the starter clutch?
2. What parts did you replace?

BRI-GUY-GA
11-20-2017, 09:46 PM
It was cracked so got one that was solid. I replaced the starter solenoid. Battery was charged overnight and it only a few months old.

sfair
11-20-2017, 11:45 PM
Are you SURE that the weak cranking is not because the starter clutch is slipping?
Listen to the starter very carefully while cranking.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-21-2017, 08:19 AM
I'm sure. When I hit the start button it will either turn over then click or just clicks. The clicking is coming from the solenoid. When it was slipping the noise was different and came from the front of the bike.

What does code 23 mean?

sfair
11-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Code 23 means that the ECU is not receiving timing pulses from the ignition system, which it will not, if the engine is not cranking correctly.

When the solenoid clicks, does it do so just once or does it machine gun?

stilettoman
11-21-2017, 10:18 PM
When did Kawasaki build a ZN1300 with a cam sensor and with a computer that produces fault codes? I thought I was the only one who did that.

Some of you may have seen my writeup on the Stiletto, which is described here:

The Stiletto Project ? Chateau Stillwater Garage (http://stilettoman.info/2014/09/the-stiletto-project/)

After driving it for about 5 years, I had a wiring meltdown, cause unknown, and it melted the fuse/relay box among other things. I was never happy with a computer that was not adjustable/tuneable and had considered using a more modern engine management system. Now I have completely rewired the vehicle. I had a lot of spare parts for the two cars I have converted to Nissan Skyline engines, so I decided on a research project. My machinist adapted the Skyline cam position sensor to the Kawasaki exhaust cam - they are both straight sixes, dual overhead cams, same firing order , so it should work. We built a custom intake plenum, used the Skyline injectors, Mass Airflow Sensor, fuel injection computer and ignition module. I sent the computer to a company called Nistune, they modified it so it is tuneable, and with very little difficulty my tuner guy had it starting, idling and running very well.

Still putting it back together, should be driving it very soon and do the final tuning. I will post a video when it is sorted out.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Code 23 means that the ECU is not receiving timing pulses from the ignition system, which it will not, if the engine is not cranking correctly.

When the solenoid clicks, does it do so just once or does it machine gun?

Usually its a single click, but occasionally its machine gun. Typically it will just click and nothing or will turn over a bit then machine gun.

sfair
11-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Could you give me a quick run down on what repairs/checks you have done to the engine mechanically, and why?
I need a little history before going farther.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-27-2017, 02:12 PM
When I found it, it had been sitting in a covered car port for a number of years with the plastic removed and stored in the basement. I got it home and began to reinstall the plastic or at least figure out the mounting and bolts for later re-assembly.

I replaced the battery with a new bike bandit unit, used but not damaged starter clutch (original had crack). I replaced the old fuel injectors with used units from a running bike as I thought they might be dirty from sitting so long. New oil, oil filter and coolant. I adjusted the valve clearances and hand spun the engine initially to verify it wasn't locked up. Ran new fuel line from the tank to pump to fuel rail as well as return line. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator as well.

I believe thats it.

sfair
11-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Can you remove spark plugs and check that the engine spins freely on the starter.

BRI-GUY-GA
11-27-2017, 02:53 PM
I have done that already when checking and re-gapping them. It does spin freely.

sfair
11-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Was that done before or after starter clutch replacement?

BRI-GUY-GA
11-27-2017, 03:04 PM
after. Starter clutch was one of first items I did.

sfair
11-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Has the engine EVER cranked over as it should?

BRI-GUY-GA
11-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Yes, it actually started and ran poorly a while back for a few minutes. That is when I replaced the fuel injectors as it was sputtering and backfiring big time. Figured they were gummed up.

sfair
11-27-2017, 04:18 PM
And it has never cranked up to speed since?

BRI-GUY-GA
11-27-2017, 04:21 PM
not really. Cranks for 5 seconds maybe like it wants to start, then clicks.

sfair
11-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Sounds like your battery is not up to the task.
I would take it in to a battery seller and have it load tested.

wirral_biker
12-01-2017, 08:37 AM
As above....duff battery ( or poor battery leads )...one cell probably failing even when new.