And so it begins [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

And so it begins

Green-machine-Steve
02-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Hi all. Well here I am aged 40 and about to start in the world of biking.im a little nervous but also excited as ****.my weapon of choice Iím not 100% on yet.either the ninja 400 or 650..Iíll wait till Iíve done my cbt and got to the point of riding the 600 class bikes.what a way to start,I popped into a Kawasaki dealers on Saturday,they only had the 650 in And what a bike,looks stunning in green and a nice low bike for my short ass legs,Iím 5í10 But my legs are short..
Now Iím enjoying buying all the gear (no idea)..Shark Skwal helmet seems a good budget helmet to start me off...should I go first gen at £140 or Skwal 2 for £200. Apparently they are better all around but is that normal peopleís opinion or just marketing rubbish...looking forward to the next few months of life

rbentnail
02-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the forum! Based on that goofy looking L thingy, I'm guessing you're somewhere over thataways --> eastward where licensing, training and insurance requirements are quite different then ours here in the colonies.

Good luck in you endeavour, many folks I know started "later in life".

Rob9876
02-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the forums Steve! I don't have any experience with those helmets, but from a quick search they seem to have good reviews, and the LED lights and Pinlock lens are nice features to have at that pricepoint.

Green-machine-Steve
02-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Picked up the skwal 2 switch rider in black white and red.really not crazy looking helmet and a nice tight fit that should ease up over time.also popped into Kawasaki to ask about the 400 to look at,in store end of March beginning of April which is perfect for me.ill be well into my lessons by then so Iíll have a much better idea of what suits me best.

Green-machine-Steve
02-17-2018, 03:11 AM
Add to the first question..Iím uk

Rob9876
02-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Add to the first question..Iím uk
I figured that, given the currency referenced. Have you already been riding a smaller bike, or are you taking your first course soon?

Green-machine-Steve
02-17-2018, 02:32 PM
My first course in the next few weeks rob,Looking forward to it but Iím definitely nervous.not sure why,ive been driving for 23years and driving hgv for 15 years.

CarasDude
02-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Just know that driving a cage and riding a bike are 2 different animals. I teach B.R.S and brand new students, both young and old make similar mistakes. Practice Practice Practice is the key to being a solid rider. Best of luck into the new world of riding!

Green-machine-Steve
02-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Thanks..and Iím under no illusions that Iím far from a rider just yet,I am very road confident but realise there will be a lot to learn.
Keep looking at everything,bikes and all the gear so to speak.you guys must understand,I want everything yesterday,Iíll only regret it if I rush my decisions.head says 400 ninja,heart says 650.insurance costs are very similar so that wonít be a big factor,itís more about the physical size of both and my own confidence

Rob9876
02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
I'm also 5"10" with somewhat short legs, and the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 was a great bike for me to keep learning on after my first motorcycle course. Low seat height made it easy to flat-foot, and that along with being fairly light weight helped keep me from dropping it a few times when I was on an incline or on a slippery surface. I upgraded after 6 months, but that Vulcan was a fun little bike and I'm glad I started out on it.

Green-machine-Steve
02-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Thatís my thinking with the 400,low rise lightweight should be ideal.i just want to compare with the 650 before making a decision

rbentnail
02-21-2018, 09:29 AM
When I got back into biking after a decade o more layoff, I chose the Vulcan 800. Good power but light and nimble. I rode it a year then traded up.

CarasDude
02-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Thanks..and I’m under no illusions that I’m far from a rider just yet,I am very road confident but realise there will be a lot to learn.
Keep looking at everything,bikes and all the gear so to speak.you guys must understand,I want everything yesterday,I’ll only regret it if I rush my decisions.head says 400 ninja,heart says 650.insurance costs are very similar so that won’t be a big factor,it’s more about the physical size of both and my own confidence

As I tell my students on their first bike.. Do not buy something that will break your heart if it hits the ground a time or 2. Something that is fairly inexpensive and easy to fix with ample parts. And how are you going to ride.. Highways, surface streets, back roads? And finally, what fits, feels good under you. So many choices, so many avenues..

Head swimming yet?

Green-machine-Steve
02-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Ha. Yes itís swimming and I appreciate the buy cheap and cheerful,but Iím passed stage in life and will be much happier with brand new,no nasty surprises to worry about.

ForestLake900LT
02-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Good luck there Steve and happy to hear you're getting into it. I didn't start riding until I was about 45, only regret now is why I didn't pick it up sooner. What others have said makes sense to me... my first bike that I learned (and made my early mistakes) on was an older Yamaha XS-400 Special that I bought for about $400 USD. After a couple years on that, I found my first real fun bike the Kawi Vulcan 750 which kept me going for about 80,000 miles. Only dropped that one once or twice, and now I've been on my third ride for the last 8 years, the Vulcan 900 LT which I bought brand new. No drops or accidents with this one.

I wish you the best but just know that most of us WILL sooner or later have some unfortunate event that might scuff up the first bike. A cheap "learner" bike is not a bad way to go but enjoy your new ride and stay safe!

Green-machine-Steve
02-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Yes accidents happen I suppose but if we lived in fear weíd never get anywhere,Iíll be insured should the worst happen.
Iím leaning more and more towards the 650 after lots of reviews and our old friend you tube..
As for extras Iíll be getting the u lock,tank pads,wheel tape and an indoor cover that will probably only be used in winter..ahh also the rear pillion cover which looks really cool,thatís only if I get the original rear piece aswell. The engine slider I can buy online for 1/4 of the dealer asking price

Green-machine-Steve
03-12-2018, 05:01 AM
Rst trachtech evo boots n gloves bought,and now time for my cbt.

Green-machine-Steve
03-24-2018, 07:33 AM
All my gear bought now..trachtech evo boots evo 2 jacket evo gloves and the shark helmet....cbt hopefully next few weeks...midlife crisis. Yep

Green-machine-Steve
04-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Cbt day me Friday and I loved being out on the road.i now know that I want to ride more than ever..it was only a 125 bike but regardless it was an utterly new experience.the bike was a little gutless power wise but so what,the actual feeling on it was superb..mod 1 soon then mod 2 and I’m fully legal on the road property

rbentnail
04-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Good on you! I can still remember my first "legal" street ride. I grew up riding off-road but that first one is still etched in my mind..... from 1976! It was on my Dad's Honda 450- back in the day that was a huge bike. I bought my first own street bike in 1981- a Yamaha 650 Special II. Since, at the time, it was my only transportation, I rode everywhere! Rain or shine, snow, it didn't matter. I just went!!

You've got some exciting travels ahead, I am so envious you would not believe. But please, don't let your exhilaration overshadow your sensibilities. It's dangerous out there, stay focused, be alert and be safe.

Green-machine-Steve
04-09-2018, 02:19 PM
You've probably heard it all before but I fully intend to be super safe..this will be my toy that I enjoy cruising on the country lanes rather than racing around like a teenager..that’s my thinking today anyway.
Even the 125 on my cbt was so much fun on the roads.its a world away from my motocross days,which was fun at the time..

rbentnail
04-10-2018, 09:12 AM
I dunno :-D ..... I restarted motorcycling after marriage/kid raising/tight times with a small cruiser and fond memories. At the time I was thinking kind of the same thing- commuting to work, a little country cruising, maybe a medium length trip now & then. That worked ok for about 2 yrs but as I got "into" riding & going farther and farther for longer and longer the cruiser thing wasn't working. In Jan '08 I bought a new Yamaha FJR. Google it, you'll see 8). Anyway, 10 years & 107,xxx miles later we keep on going & going & going.

Green-machine-Steve
05-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Theory test passed today...mod 2+1 to go and I’m done

rbentnail
05-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Theory test passed today...mod 2+1 to go and Iím done
WooHoo! I raise my [coffee] mug in celebration!