GOT MY NEW BIKE! Kawasaki ninja 400🤤 [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

GOT MY NEW BIKE! Kawasaki ninja 400🤤

Carson_Goodwin
05-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Aight so starting off, I’m 18 literally just got my permit I’ve been riding dirt bikes for a couple of years, never raced just had fun with friends mobbin around in the dirt. But I’m starting this thread because I have to break the bike in which I’ve never done. The MOM (Manuel) says to keep it below 4,000 rpms at all times but the thing is I literally can’t go 45mph on a road without going at least 5k rpms. So this is my 3rd day having the bike and the first day I put 120 miles on it just cause I couldn’t get myself to stop riding I was so excited and am emjoying it so much. Needless to say I happened to go on the freeway and might have gotten up to 8,000 rpms and reality is hitting and I’m worried I might be doing damage given it’s the break in period. The first 60 miles I strictly kept it under 4,000 rpms and have been for most of the time but I had some bursts where I couldn’t help it and had to open up on the throttle and enjoy myself. I’m just curious if it’s really THAT bad to do that during the break in period. Nothing seems wrong at all on the bike I’m just posting this to get more knowledgeable opinions and any tips to get through this break in period because it’s killing me.

Rob9876
05-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Congrats on the new bike -- from the reviews I've read that Ninja 400 sounds like a great bike!

As for the break-in period - that is a topic just slightly less contested than politics and religion. Some say strictly follow the manual, some say ride it like you stole it and break it in fast, some say just vary the RPMs (no long highway hours) and don't go too crazy yet.

I tend to follow the manual when possible, but everyone gets a little throttle happy every now and then. Given your situation, it sounds like the 3rd option may be the best for you. Here's a good video on the topic: https://youtu.be/u74jYkItdD8

As a new street rider, please do take it easy for a little while at least. Have fun!

wiredgeorge
05-16-2018, 07:46 AM
The purpose of break in is to get parts to seat and to get the rings bedded into the cylinder liners. Most important thing is to vary speeds (vary rpm) and don't drone at one speed mile after mile. The piston rings don't seat as well as if speeds/rpms vary.

poncho167
05-20-2018, 07:49 PM
I know what you mean. I just picked up my 18' 650 and didn't read the break in procedure until after my first ride of under 45 miles. Though the manual also states 4000 RPM, I only exceeded that marginally a couple times. I can go up to about 60 mph until it gets over 4000 RPM. After 500 miles the second 500 break in period starts and to keep it under 6000 RPM this time which is more reasonable.

Rob9876
05-21-2018, 02:10 PM
After 500 miles the second 500 break in period starts and to keep it under 6000 RPM this time which is more reasonable.
Yes, I have a Versys 650 and the 6000 RPM period of the break in was a lot easier to live with than the 4000 RPM part, which kept me to local, slower roads.

Rob9876
05-21-2018, 02:12 PM
P.S.: The break-in period for my Connie was much easier to live with, as I could still get up past 80 MPH at 4000 RPM. :-)

Carson_Goodwin
07-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Congrats on the new bike -- from the reviews I've read that Ninja 400 sounds like a great bike!

As for the break-in period - that is a topic just slightly less contested than politics and religion. Some say strictly follow the manual, some say ride it like you stole it and break it in fast, some say just vary the RPMs (no long highway hours) and don't go too crazy yet.

I tend to follow the manual when possible, but everyone gets a little throttle happy every now and then. Given your situation, it sounds like the 3rd option may be the best for you. Here's a good video on the topic: https://youtu.be/u74jYkItdD8

As a new street rider, please do take it easy for a little while at least. Have fun!
The purpose of break in is to get parts to seat and to get the rings bedded into the cylinder liners. Most important thing is to vary speeds (vary rpm) and don't drone at one speed mile after mile. The piston rings don't seat as well as if speeds/rpms vary.
I know what you mean. I just picked up my 18' 650 and didn't read the break in procedure until after my first ride of under 45 miles. Though the manual also states 4000 RPM, I only exceeded that marginally a couple times. I can go up to about 60 mph until it gets over 4000 RPM. After 500 miles the second 500 break in period starts and to keep it under 6000 RPM this time which is more reasonable.
P.S.: The break-in period for my Connie was much easier to live with, as I could still get up past 80 MPH at 4000 RPM. https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

WELLL I forgot to log back on to this forum to check the replies but what else can u expect from a new member 🤫 HA so I’m at 1,500 miles now and I’ve gotten too comfortable too fast. Hasn’t been an issue yet but definitely need to kick back because there’s been some moments where I’m in full send mode and don’t have the skills to match what I’m doing I’ve just been lucky so far and it might look like I do.

As for the break in period I didn’t go too hard on it too much and did a lot of canyon rides with the varying rpms which seemed to work just fine so far. I just wanted to thank you guys for the replies I appreciate it!

Rob9876
07-07-2018, 03:36 PM
How have you been liking your Ninja 400 so far?

Carson_Goodwin
07-08-2018, 01:13 PM
How have you been liking your Ninja 400 so far?

So far the ninja 400 has been perfect for me, it’s just the right amount of power for my skill level. Keeps me on my toes sometimes but it’s so easily maneuverable, light weight and just a great bike. However I’ve been doing a lot of canyon riding recently and this bike makes me feel like I’m almost stuck up right with a wood plank up my ass. The seats comfortable don’t get me wrong and for around town and majority of my riding I’m glad I’m in a more upright position BUT I’m still getting used to the body positioning with cornering for that and it is difficult for me to get in the right body position when it’s time to get low but there’s a high chance that’s because I’ve only rode 1,700 miles on it 🤫. It actually gets amazing gas mileage, during the break in period I was getting 60.7 to the gallon on average but now that the break in is over it’s safe to say that dropped to 50.6. Needless to say I’m very glad I’m part of the riding community!

Rob9876
07-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Very cool, sounds like a fun bike. I may have to try one out sometime soon.

DeltaGSXR
07-14-2018, 03:32 PM
I had discussed with a few friends about breaking-in a new bike. Some would go by the book, some would just plain laugh at it. So you will likely get all kinds of opinions.

My take on this is as follows : "I don't know any better than the engineers who have designed the motorcycle."

They know better, so I follow those who know.