Tires [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Tires

05-14-2018, 03:55 PM
i HAD A FRIEND TELL ME HE PUT A REAR TIRE ON THE FRONT OF HIS BIKE, AND HAD BETTER MILEAGE OUT OF IT , DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS OK TO DO THAT. OF COURSE HE USED THE PROPER SIZE

wiredgeorge
05-14-2018, 06:41 PM
No bueno... the bias ply wraps (if these are bias bly) are opposite on a rear tire as opposed to a front tire for strength. If they are radial, I am not sure but on MOST trikes (like on Goldwing trikes), the front tire is usually a rear tire mounted backwards direction... this is even with a radial tire.

rbentnail
05-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Some sport touring and GoldWing guys do it but it's not a popular mod for the cruisers. The side walls are too flexible.

06-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Ok thanks, I see the michelin commander ll are suppose to get around 25000 miles, so I will let him know

rbentnail
06-15-2018, 07:13 AM
Tires are always a trade-off. For me:

- 25,000 miles is a number I have never achieved on any motorcycle with any motorcycle tire. Front or rear makes no difference. The only time I got mileage like that is with a car tire.

- I tend to shy away from "high" mileage tires as they are too hard for my taste. Too hard = too slippery. In the beginning of each bike's lifecycle (my ownership time) I often went too far to "the right" into the "too slippery" territory and had to move back to the left "better grip, less life" area. Most often I could life with something that would last about 10k miles. For me that seemed to be a good balance of longevity, grip and price.