tires [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

tires

06-13-2018, 12:40 PM
I have a friend who has a 2016 voyager, and is wondering if anyone has put car tires on their bikes, and what are the results

ricksza
06-14-2018, 04:44 AM
Might want to check out the Darkside Tire Info Center (https://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires&make=kawasaki&model=voyager&year=&rider=).

Edgar Flores
06-15-2018, 03:26 AM
Is it safe to install car tires on bike ?
I am also interested in this topic.

ricksza
06-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Is it safe to install car tires on bike ?
I am also interested in this topic.
My current rear tire (Darkside) General Altimax 195/65R15 has a Max Load of 1356 lbs. The original tire Dunlop 180/70-15 MC 76H TL is rated at 882 lbs. So it's definitely stronger than the original. As for safety, has there ever been a documented instance of an accident caused by a car tire on a motorcycle? How about motorcycle tire failure accident? There was the most recent I recall where a HD crash Case File (http://www.masstortdefense.com/uploads/file/harley_order.pdf) was blamed on overloaded tires (it was overloaded by the riders alone, 454 lbs,not counting the luggage) max capacity 420 lbs. On my bike, "Weight of rider, passenger, baggage, and accessories must not exceed 180 kg (397 lb)".
There's dozens of videos on Youtube of Darksiders, watch them and compare tire contact during riding and turns. Bottom line, during normal riding, the car tire has an ungodly footprint on the road compared to the bike tire. That footprint means better braking capability.
To me, Darkside was a choice to try, I'm happy with the ride and handling. The economic benefits are not something I would complain about either ($70 for a car tire or $400 for 2 bike tires). I'm not trying to convince anyone that Darkside is for everybody, just that it works for me.

rbentnail
06-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Just my experiences with all kinds of bikes-

I don't like car tires on cruisers. They seem wishy-washy to me b/c the sidewall is too tall for the application. This makes them slushy feeling to me regardless of tire pressure. If a low profile tire could be found so I didn't get that feeling I'd run a car tire in a heart beat. In fact, on my Yamaha FJR, I'm on my second car tire ;).

As to "what are the results", it varies by person with feel, handling, etc. Some folks like me don't mind the differences, some hate it. I can tell you this- my first car tire was $118 installed and lasted 28+K miles. My current tire was $70 installed and I expect to get at least 30K from it.