1982 Spectre 750 Project [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

1982 Spectre 750 Project

Nordster
06-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Hey everyone I just bought a Spectre as a project. I have never owned Kawasaki before so I am excited to get it running good and do some cosmetic things. I was thinking about making the bike into more of a cafe racer style... opinions or suggestions?

martin-csr
06-16-2018, 09:05 AM
The Spectre is a neat bike. I would install new lower black handlebars, then change out the control cables & maybe do something about the front brake master cylinder, if it isn't level any more & get new brake lines. Then RIDE !

ps: if the turn signals are on the handlebars, you probably ought to move them to the headlight bucket or forks first before changing the bars. You can probably install turn signal stems in place of the big headlight bucket bolts. I did.

flippabotamatic
06-17-2018, 06:55 PM
I bought the same bike last July. I would totally back up the handlebar switch. Mine already had them switched, but I've read in numerous places how horrible the stock ones are. They look pretty uncomfortable too.

As far as going cafe with it, To each their own. I'd encourage keeping all of the stock parts though. The cafe thing is cute and all, but it's a fad that has been dying for a while now. I see people trying to make their bikes into ramblers now. Next fad, who knows, maybe everyone will want to make their bikes look like 80s era japanese choppers. A pretty safe alternative is to get the bike running and just ride it. It will be worth way more as a stock bike, and unless it's in pretty bad shape, then there is no real reason to go trying to change it up. But again, to each their own, no one is going to be able to give you your own opinion on the matter.

Nordster
06-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Thank you guys for your inputs! I have decided not to modify anything until I can get it run 95-100%. I am having trouble getting it to that point though. I am having an air to fuel ratio problem and cannot seem to find the problem.

I have cleaned and synced the carbs, checked the boots for any cracks or leaks, and cleaned the petcock but I am still having issues. Do you have any ideas?

The Spectre is a neat bike. I would install new lower black handlebars, then change out the control cables & maybe do something about the front brake master cylinder, if it isn't level any more & get new brake lines. Then RIDE !

ps: if the turn signals are on the handlebars, you probably ought to move them to the headlight bucket or forks first before changing the bars. You can probably install turn signal stems in place of the big headlight bucket bolts. I did.

I bought the same bike last July. I would totally back up the handlebar switch. Mine already had them switched, but I've read in numerous places how horrible the stock ones are. They look pretty uncomfortable too.

As far as going cafe with it, To each their own. I'd encourage keeping all of the stock parts though. The cafe thing is cute and all, but it's a fad that has been dying for a while now. I see people trying to make their bikes into ramblers now. Next fad, who knows, maybe everyone will want to make their bikes look like 80s era japanese choppers. A pretty safe alternative is to get the bike running and just ride it. It will be worth way more as a stock bike, and unless it's in pretty bad shape, then there is no real reason to go trying to change it up. But again, to each their own, no one is going to be able to give you your own opinion on the matter.