zzr 04plate 1200 chain running out of true [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

zzr 04plate 1200 chain running out of true

gmg0049
09-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Hi, picked up my zzr about a month ago from a dealer, bike is on finance. Today bike started to stall at junctions and is having great difficulty selecting neutral gear, got bike home, got it on main stand started bike got it into first gear. when rear wheel is driving, the chain is jumping and looks like its running out of true. Called rac out to check it over and the prognosis is that the drive cog on the out put shaft from the gearbox could be running with excessive free play causing the chain to run out of true. cant be the rear sprocket as its fixed to the rear wheel and the rear wheel hub bearings are ok. Anyone no if this is a common problem, have called the dealer and made them aware, think the bike may be out of its 30 day warranty :( anyoe know if the output shaft bearing is common failure ? Think the case will need split to check out inner gearbox function. can case be split with engine in situ or will it be an engine out job??

martin-csr
09-04-2018, 09:34 AM
What year & exact model is the motorcycle? diagrams > Kawasaki or Partzilla.
I think I know what bike you mean, but just to be clear & not waste time looking at the wrong diagrams.

The first thing I'd do is remove the engine sprocket cover & take a look at the Fr sprocket. The problem could be a loose sprocket nut or something is improperly installed. Compare what you have to the diagrams. The Fr sprocket has to be installed perfectly, so if unsure, get the Kawasaki service manual or have it done by a qualified mechanic. If the nut is damaged get a new one. If there's any kind of splined washer or whatever, I would get a new one. If the Fr sprocket is worn or damaged, replace it. You should check the chain & Rr sprocket for damage as well. Be sure to adjust the drive chain slack afterwards.

davidr1963
09-04-2018, 12:35 PM
The first thing that springs to my mind is that the chain is stretched. This doesn’t happen uniformly so you’ll have tight spots and loose spots. You’re sprockets are likely to be worn too.
I wouldn’t initially expect the output shaft to be not running true unless it’s been damaged.