GPZ 550 fork springs [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

GPZ 550 fork springs

corel
10-09-2018, 09:00 AM
I am rebuilding a Kawasaki GPZ 550 1986 and I cannot remove the fork springs from the stanchions, I have them stripped down except for the springs.
I need them out, as the stanchions are to be re-chromed.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.:(

martin-csr
10-09-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm not familiar with your motorcycle & maybe someone else understands the problem, but I don't see how the forks can be stripped down except for the springs. They're usually one of the first things to be removed so that the forks can be disassembled.

You could check out the diagrams at Kawasaki dot come or Partzilla. That may help or maybe you could post the part number of what's giving you trouble.

corel
10-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Thank You I shall try this.
The problem with this bike is : I removed the inner circlip and expected the spring to jump out,but it didn't, there seems to be an inner stanchion and it goes narrow at the bottom.
Haynes manual is no help whatsoever.

martin-csr
10-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Sorry, I still don't know what you mean. Try referencing the fork diagram for your motorcycle at Partzilla, then report back with a part number or numbers of whatever won't come out. I'm assuming you have the stock forks. Using the diagram reference numbers, there is a circlip 92033, then a spring guide 44029 w o-ring. maybe the spring guide is just stuck. not uncommon. Be sure to loosen the upper triple clamp bolt.

For the Kawasaki service manual & supplement, do a google search for manualedereparatie kawasaki. The site has several 400/500/550 manuals. You'll probably need the base KZ550 manual & a 550 supplement manual that covers the later ZX550 models. There is a supplement manual for the 85 ZX550 which should have the same forks as the 86 model.

martin-csr
10-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Note: the Kawasaki service manual may not have specific step-by-step instructions for disassembling the forks. It's one of those things in which Kawasaki assumes the work is being done by a trained mechanic & disassembly would pose no unusual problems.