ATV Recall - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr700_vamps
wow i didnt get a notice but oh well id still ride it till it broke anyways but i am goin to call bout this!
Don't ride that bike you crazy basket.I rode mine till it popped.Almost killed myself.Had the kids on it just before that.Luckily i was by myself.Doing about 40 klicks when it broke apart.Folded the tire right back and under the bike,flipped me about50 feet through the air.Messed me up really good,broken chest bone and 2 broken ribs,and an ambulance ride to emergency.Couldn't breath right for 2 months.NEVER GOT A NOTICE!!!I found out when i got it fixed that it was a recall.BECAREFUL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Plasma Blue

Thats scarry!
I just picked up my 400 Prarie 2x4. only 20 hrs on it!
You must have had the 4x4.
Mine has not beed in for the recall yet. I bought it from the origional owner and he never even knew of it.
Guess I'll call Kawi dealer Tues morning!!!

Also was there a belt recall for the same quads????

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver ed
Don't ride that bike you crazy basket.I rode mine till it popped.Almost killed myself.Had the kids on it just before that.Luckily i was by myself.Doing about 40 klicks when it broke apart.Folded the tire right back and under the bike,flipped me about50 feet through the air.Messed me up really good,broken chest bone and 2 broken ribs,and an ambulance ride to emergency.Couldn't breath right for 2 months.NEVER GOT A NOTICE!!!I found out when i got it fixed that it was a recall.BECAREFUL!!

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom Plasma Blue --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 PM
BTK Beginner

check if the ball joint on lower a-arm is upright into knuckle or down facing from arm to ground. if knuckle is above a-arm the recall is not done. If knuckle is below a-arm the recall has been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM

I didn't get a recall but was at Harber's cycle Parts when I saw the recall notice. And on the way home and stopped at Kawasaki of Harrison, Ar. on Sat. and was told to bring in the first of the week and pick up the next day. No problems and no long wait. Harber Cycle Parts is in Viola,Ar. and good people to do business And honest.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for the info. folks

Perfect that I found this forum. I'm looking at getting a 2004 360 Prairie from a non-Kawi dealer that took it in trade.

Whew!! Would have been a PO to have bought it only to have the wheel fold under me 100 miles back in the bush on a hunting trip. Could have been fatal.

Thanks again, you may have saved my life.

Best regards,
Pat
Powell River, BC.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:09 PM

I got mine fixed several years ago per the recall notice. Then the steering knuckle broke again a couple years later...after it was fixed! Kawasaki didn't want to fix the problem because thet said it had already been fixed per the recall and it broke because I abused it. I had 3 things going for me, 1) I had an extended warranty even though thet didn't want to abide by it. 2) I was able to prove that the steering knuckle broke because of a metalurgical defect rather than abuse. The bolt hole for the tie rod end had actually stretched and elongated before braking. I think Kawi did the fix alright.....they replaced one bad part with another bad part. 3) I had my local dealer pulling for me and trying to work the problem. They needed me to help them by pestering Kawasaki to do the right thing, they coached me a little. In the end it all worked out OK. Thanks Lynnwood Cycle Barn!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM

How do you like the Prairie, now that you've "USED" it?

Glad to hear that they did the fix after the first fix failed.

How'd you like the 360?

Pat
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsplace View Post
Glad to hear that they did the fix after the first fix failed.

How'd you like the 360?

Pat
I don't have a 360, I have a 700 Prarie. It hauls A$$, no shortage of power. I had an opportunity to take a very close look at the 360. IMO it is under-powered or too **** heavy which ever you want to call it. The thing weighs as much as my 700 with only half the power! It would be a decent machine if it was a 500cc.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 AM

Howdy folks,
Got the parts for the recall and put them in yesterday. For my 360 it's a whole new cast aluminum knuckle for both sides and new A-Arms. The A-arm attaches to the knuckle via a castelated (Sp?) nut, very much like a ball joint on a front end. The only thing that I found was that the quality of one of the nuts was not great and I had to thread chase and run a tap through a different nut that I used. I also had to use two washers on top of the nut to make the nut index well to the cotter pin hole.

Not a really big job, just lots of cotter-pins to fiddle with and lots of different torque specs on reassembly. The pieces that I took off had absolutely Zero play and no evidence of any problem, but the new pieces are not fastened the same as the original. I used stud & bearing grade Loc-Tite and doubt that it will ever move. This is tried and tested in a zillion cars and trucks.

Have a good day.

Pat
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Re: ATV Recall

I'm late getting in on this thread I know. I bought my 700 Prairie new in '05 and still haven't had the recall work done. Simply because I don't want to drive forever both ways to get it fixed. I would rather do the job myself anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page