predator powered mule - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Re: predator powered mule

your right scout on the clutch, i have talked to tom at dixie carts and he recommended the comet 780 with the 1 inch bore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Scout, I have the same version you had with the one piece engine/trans and your idea of separating them and putting a plate on the trans to close it up was what convinced me this wouldnít be as difficult a I thought.

Iím planning to use a 13hp Predator motor from Harbor Freight. I was just looking at the mule again and it looks like there will be plenty of room once the engine and all the hoses, boxes, etc. there will be plenty of room so hopefully it will go well.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1 View Post
Thanks again for getting back to me.

Scout, I have the same version you had with the one piece engine/trans and your idea of separating them and putting a plate on the trans to close it up was what convinced me this wouldnít be as difficult a I thought.

Iím planning to use a 13hp Predator motor from Harbor Freight. I was just looking at the mule again and it looks like there will be plenty of room once the engine and all the hoses, boxes, etc. there will be plenty of room so hopefully it will go well.
Set your replacement engine on a flat surface and measure to the top of it. Then measure the space where it will go in the mule. I had to make the motor mounting plate below the tubes but the new engines are not as tall and you may be able to set it on the top which will be easier. I don't know what tools you have but I had a machine shop when I did mine so I could do a lot of different things easier. I know of one guy that put Onan engines in a bunch of them and he made templates for every thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:56 AM

It looks like I'll have about 1.5 inches of clearance between the top of the engine and the bottom of the bed when it's down but I'll have to make a mount to go under the tubes. Fortunately I have a friend who was a machinist and he offered to help.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Hey guys Iím still messing with this and Iíve run into a potential problem Iím hoping you can help me with.

In checking specs on the engine it says the output shaft rotates counter clockwise. When looking at the Mule the current engine output shaft and the driven clutch are on the right or passenger side. Iíd have to mount the new engine basically backwards to get the output on the right side. Since the engine rotates counter clockwise it seems to me that the Mule would go backwards when in forward and forward when in reverse.

Maybe Iím not thinking about this correctly but did this come up with the engines you used and if it did how did you resolve it?

Thanks
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 PM

That a new one on me. All the engines I have ever had the shaft turned clockwise. Can you roll the engine over and check t out
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

well project is complete. you wouldnt believe the the difference in the power and torque.where it would only run around 21 now its around 32 (with 3 people exceeding 800 pounds) and will spin the tires big time.
i would highly recommend the 670 predator to any one needing to replace there motor. now i got to find a rear hub if anyone has one for sale please hit me up.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Congrats Backwoods, it sounds awesome!

I guess my concern about the counter clockwise rotation of the motor wasnít an issue because the Harbor Freight website says the 670 is also CCW rotation.

Iíd love to see some pics if you can share or pick your brain if you have some time.

Enjoy it.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 02:33 AM

Hi all, so I was left wondering if the CCW thing was an issue or not? Does the Predator 670 work, right out of the box? Does anyone have any photos of their install? I've got a 2005 chassis with a transmission but no engine, hoping to get it running soon. Thanks!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:42 PM

howdy just finished a customers dead diesel 4x4 mule to a v-twin 22hp predator powered mule pretty easy just a lot of grind action and 3 real fabs.

There is some wiring! also use the predators start switch its 5 wire the mule is 3 wire.

The exhaust, cut the old exhaust at the u, and use the u to connect the second header into the primary. Welding required but straight forward.

The new motor mount and linkage risers- 4 metal rubber spacers motor mounts. plus 2 risers for the linkage above the motor. the motor has its own fuel pump, like a golf cart. Just pull the tank clean it and unhook the diesel filter and go.

I used the comet 780 clutch with 1/38 belt use . all the fab

Carter plus has it for 250$ to your door. you will need a 1in outer dia shim/spacer for the clutch shaft 2.97-3.00 inch long and a 5 inch long 3/4-16 pitch crank bolt......... (yes 16 pitch)

Start switch yellow predator to brown mule wire ,acc. white to white, main, thick black white to thick black white . now predator start switch has a loop wire black white ground to frame.

And a plug wire black white, this needs to be run from the front start back to the pedator motors plug, Also a small black white wire. job done ride

FYI the predator motor at low idle charges like crap!!!!!! switch to led lighting. Charges fine at speed .

Will do 4 wheel burn outs in 4x4 and can drift like a go cart in 2x4 .

oh last thing for 700$ out the door vs 2500 for a 22hp kawa or kholer motor theses are awesome.

that said they are less than a year old spend the extra 140$ on the 1 year it dosent smell right give me another engine warrenty
S.C.H

Last edited by badmonkeyss; 05-25-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page