predator powered mule - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

predator powered mule

has anyone tried putting a harbor freight v twin predator engine on their mule. i have ordered the engine and was wondering about what driven clutch to go with the 1 inch shaft. the mule is a 2005 3010 with the 620. does any one have any thoughts,ideas or concerns that help with the project.
thanks
robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 PM

Re: predator powered mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodboys11 View Post
has anyone tried putting a harbor freight v twin predator engine on their mule. i have ordered the engine and was wondering about what driven clutch to go with the 1 inch shaft. the mule is a 2005 3010 with the 620. does any one have any thoughts,ideas or concerns that help with the project.
thanks
robbie
I put an 18 HP Briggs on a mule 1000. On this one the motor and tranmission was one piece so I made a plate to seal off the tran. I got a clutch made by Coment from a place that sold aftermarket bike and snowmobile parts. Never checked the top speed on it but lets just say it did not go 25 mph anymore. You could pop a wheelie with 2 people in it and it got hairy with the steering. The people that I sold it to still have it and it is going strong. That was 10 years ago
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks scout for your reply,im build in mine to work with and the reason im changing motors is the 620 went to knockin and this engine wasnt but 574.00 to my door. thinking reall hard about the comet 780 clutch but still not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:18 AM

If and when you do this it is very important to get your belt alinement correct. Try to get the new engine in a location that you can use the same belt as is on they now as it will save you a lot of head aches later.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

thats my plans cause the clutch is looking around 280.00 . its like that song says,you dont know what you till its gone, i have sure missed my mule. surely someone else has done some kind of motor swap for there mule. i havent found nothing execept for a kit to put a gas motor in where there was a diesal motor.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

well i learned a lesson. got to the store and buy the engine, dont order online. got it and it looked like it fell out the back of the truck going down the highway. took it to the nearest store and they exchanged it. hope to order the comet 780 this week.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking to try to do the same type of change on an 88 Mule 1000 with a blown engine. I know this thread is a little old but Iím hoping you can give me an update and/or answer a few questions.

For this type of swap, for a Predator or similar engine, do both the drive clutch and the driven clutch need to be replaced or were you able to use the original Mule driven clutch?

Did you have to create some type of platform to mount the engine or did it fit the original setup?

Since you are using the original transmission/differential am I right that the differential lock is maintained?

If you have any other advice, tips, or especially pics Iíd really appreciate it.

Bill
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

i am only replacing the drive clutch with a comet 780. as for the engine plate i am making one that i can adjust side to side and forward and backwards so i can use the orignal belt and yes like on mine i will keep the diff lock and 4x4.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Thanks for getting back. I haven't taken the old motor out yet because I wasn't sure how easy or hard the swap would be but it sounds like this might not be as bad as i thought.

Good luck with yours, I'll be anxious to see how it goes.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 AM

I don't remember on the clutch but I don't think you can reuse it on another motor. You need to make a motor mounting plate and slot the holes for adjustment keeping everything in line. If your belt is out of line with your clutch and torque converter it will eat up your belt. On the one that I had the motor and transmission were one piece and I just made a plater to cover the front of the transmission. You will not lose any thing you have now except the old motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page