Kawasaki Prairie loss power - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I have my 1997 Kawasaki Prairie 400 4x4 for over 5 months. Today i went to ride and everything was going well until i noticed it loss power and speed, even it was hard to load it in my truck when before i didnt have any problem and it didnt want to go faster then around 15-20 mph. I removed the carb (2 months old) and i cleaned it but didnt work. Anything else i can check ? Btw i did a compression test and it came 140. Thanks you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 AM
BTK Expert

Check the battery charging voltage with engine running. You're going to want to see 13.3v to 14.5v. If more or less, either you have a defective regulator or some wiring issue (check the regulator wire connector!). Over or under charging system can (and will) cause a power loss.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_cookie_monster View Post
Check the battery charging voltage with engine running. You're going to want to see 13.3v to 14.5v. If more or less, either you have a defective regulator or some wiring issue (check the regulator wire connector!). Over or under charging system can (and will) cause a power loss.
First thanks for your kindly reply and for your time.
I tested the battery today, 14.0V with engine running at iddle and 12.6V without running. I remeber two weeks ago i removed the front fender to paint it and i clean the area with water and maybe some water damage the connetors or regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I replaced the regulator and sadly it didnt fix the issue. I did noticed more voltage to the battery now (14.20V) any other suggestion?
When i removed the plastics i noticed some cables not connected. I dont know if there were like that before. Anyone know what they are for? I cant attach pics they are blue and light brown the other ones are red with a strip and black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page