Bayou 400 KLF shaft play - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Bayou 400 KLF shaft play

Hi, I have a bayou KLF 400 4x4 Quad with a poorly engine. Camshaft completely wrecked, but Iíve found somewhere that can regrind and sort rockers to as new condition.
But Iíve encountered another issue, there seems to be quite a lot of play on the shaft the clutch is mounted on, end float rather. In the manual I have, it doesnít show any shims or specs on permissible end float. Is it quite normal to have visible end float?
Iím stripping the motor as if Iím spending quite a large sum on the top end, I want the bottom end in good condition too.
Will replace the whole oil pump too and fit a pressure gauge on the oil supply pipe to the top end just in case!
Cheers
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 AM
BTK Expert

Well if the crankshaft itself is moving back & forth, either the bearings are bad or the crank is. But it's normal for the clutch drum to have some end float on the crankshaft if that's what you are speaking of.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_cookie_monster View Post
Well if the crankshaft itself is moving back & forth, either the bearings are bad or the crank is. But it's normal for the clutch drum to have some end float on the crankshaft if that's what you are speaking of.
I am not near the motor(itís at a friends) but is the clutch on the end of the crank shaft? What ever shaft itís on, thereís quite a bit of end float.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM
BTK Expert

Yep. Last time I did one, there was about 1/8" end float in the clutch drum. That's what I remembered anyway. It's been a while....and for good reason. Lot of KLF400 parts are no longer available from Kawasaki.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page