Mule 1000 needs more help! - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Mule 1000 needs more help!

Hey folks....
Some of you may recall my woes with the transmission shifter drum on my old Mule 1000 KAF450-B1.
Incredibly I managed to repair it (update was posted) and reassemble the beast.
Unfortunately......it now has another issue......no power in gear.
The motor starts immediately and idles beautifully. In neutral it revs smartly, smoothly, and to high rpm (although no tach)
On the flat, it will move 'pretty well' although it seems not as fast as it did prior to major surgery.
On an incline, it simply doesn't want to climb, especially if you are not really gunning it....and even then, poorly.
I should note that I did replace the old drive belt with a new original Kawasaki belt when reassembling.
I did not 'service' the drive or driven sheaves.......I know....probably not a good move.

So.....I'm looking for advice.

Should I focus on the belt drive system given that the engine seems to perform well (although with no load)
Or should I check something else first? Maybe compression test and adjust valves?

Sure would appreciate some input from the Mule experts here......you definitely have helped me in the past. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Update....checked the compression and got 122 in each cylinder. A bit lower than I'd like, but engine might not have been warmed up enough and gauge not absolutely dead tight (concerned about getting adapter back out of plug hole.) In any case, seems it should be enough anyway to give the old beast enough ooomph.
So.....now do leak down test?
Or bite the bullet and tear apart belt drive? At least this doesn't require removing complete engine/tranny unit .....again!
Any thoughts/advice appreciated......
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Another update.....
After much work to take off the belt drive cover, good news (well, sort of) The sheaves are both operating perfectly. Belt rides up and down smoothly with rpm changes.
So......now what?
Seems hard to believe the carbs are the issue. Sure starts,idles,and revs nicely while in neutral. Yet I have heard that under load, it can be starved for fuel and lack power. Just hard to wrap my head around "why" ....since it can suck plenty of fuel rev'ing in neutral.
Suppose while I am at all this, might as well go through adjusting valves and get that off my list.

Sure would be grand if someone out there ...more "Mule experienced" .....could provide some insight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page