mule 1000 fuel pump failure KAF450 1988 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
88 Mule 1000 KAF450

mule 1000 fuel pump failure KAF450 1988

Had a few wires melt over year ago repaired as best I could. It worked after so I was pleased. Fuel pump stopped pumping next so we wired it straight to battery with alligator clips. Hooked it up when we needed it to run unplugged when it was time to stop. This worked for a good year for us. Never figured out was caused the wire melt to start with so I figured we got lucky. Recently the original fuel pump failed so I replaced it with a cheap internet unit, that according to the seller would work for my application. hooked it up, started, worked ok around the house, took it out to the deer spot and it failed, stopped pumping. Figured it was a lemon so replaced it a 2nd time but it lasted about 100 yards. Obviously I need to do something different if I want to get 1 more deer season out of it. We are too old to drag a deer and the machine is too old to take it to the dealer and dump hundreds of dollars in it. Can someone please give me some needed help/direction?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Hmmm.....the fleabay replacement pump I installed (likely no real different from yours) has performed well for me. Seems a direct connection would work, but might be well worth sorting out the original wiring issue. Odd that two pumps immediately failed.....but hey.....quality control on $18 pump likely not great. Did it not pump at all, or just poorly? Does it try to pump when lines disconnected?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
88 Mule 1000 KAF450

Just left of the fuel pump is a small black box/device (not sure what it's called? wish I knew that!!) that has 3 wires coming out of it. Those are the wires that started to melt, lucky my brother unhooked the battery immediately and prevented more damage. I was able to replace the damaged section of those three wires. I am pretty sure we already had the original fuel pump wired direct to battery when that mishap occurred. After repairing that damage it seemed to run the same as before the melting occurred so figured we got lucky. I lost power to the original fuel pump so that's why we wired it direct in the first place, I didn't know what else to do and not smart enough to figure it out. Just wanted to get I it to run safely, try to get it through another hunting season with out dumping $$ into it at a repair shop. The original pump and both replacements, when we hooked them up to the battery you can hear a slight clicking sound ( assume that's because it pumping). Again the original lasted over a year, when it wouldn't fire up we noticed the clicking sound was gone & verified it wasn't pumping gas so that's why I bought a $15 replacement on ebay. Both replacements stopped clicking thus stopped pumping and that's how I got to this point. It's not making a lot of sense to me but I am far from being a technician so that's why I NEED HELP!!!! THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:11 AM

Found a thread that might provide some good insight into your issue....
Search this ATV and Mule forum for keyword "igniter"
Then scroll down list of results until you spot a thread...."2001 & newer gas Mule 3010 igniter / CDI. Ignition coil, fuel pump problem"
Lots of good info!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 AM

BTW......The "black box" you mentioned ought to be the fuel cut relay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page