bayou 220 gets warm then dies - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 PM
BTK Expert

Send a message via AIM to 86klf300guy
well good to hear you got er running again now did u set the air flow screw up correctly 1 1/2 out from all the way in (tight)then hold the trottle up a little and adjust it out to get max rpms while in throttle 1/3 to 1/4 will do of throtle and is the plug gaped correctly i hate to ask that one but just checkin does it mis at higher rpms or at idle?or in mid throttle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have plug gapped right and I have fuel/air mix 1 1/2 turns from tight

I am playing with the throttle screw, is it 1/3 to 1/4 turn from all the way tight or????

I was riding it for about 7 min. and it sputters a lot especially in 1st gear higher speeds not a lot. Then stopped it put it neutral and it died. Im going to let it cool down and pull the plug and see if that black dry fouling is still accruing. I have a bayou repair manual on order so I can time it and all.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 PM
BTK Expert

ok you will have to adjust the air flow screw while running and hold the trottle open about 1/4 throttle so rpms are up off base idle and then turn the screw out a little bit at a time till you hear the rpms of the engine change it will get faster. if you go to far it will sag or break up on go .i think your timimg is ok ,do u have fresh 93octane fuel in your bike? and if so does it flow nice out of the tank when u pull the hose off the petcok. sounds like lack of fuel issue or its vapor locking in the fuel line try removeing you gas cap next time it dies out and listen for a hiss soound if you have a hiss sound check the breather line to see if it pluged and also is the float set correctly if its to high set itll starve for fuel if to low to much fuel will be going in and fouling the plug out--air flow screw not set properly will do the same -corey-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86klf300guy View Post
the float set correctly if its to high set itll starve for fuel if to low to much fuel will be going in and fouling the plug out--air flow screw not set properly will do the same -corey-
How do I check to see if the floats are set too high?

I have never used high octane in small vehicles(lawn tractors, motorcycles etc)
I was told by uncle that it would burn the piston or seize it. Ive always used fresh 87 oct. with some sea foam added.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 PM
BTK Expert

well i have never heard of higher octane buring up a piston or siezeing it up .on higher compression motors like atvs it is required to use a high grade gas 93 octane up to 110 my buddies 450 susuki says it right on the cap 93 or higher if you use a high octane fuel in a low compression engine it will not harm it it will carbon up due to not enough pressure in the cylinder plus itll burn it faster and its just a waste of money on lower comp engines will not gain nothing from the high test fuel,but on setting floats if your have the manual itll give you a measurement of how far the floats to hang down but i done this so many times i can do it by eye just take the carb out and take the float bowl off and hold the carb up level so the float hangs open look acroos the floats they should be level across not hang to the up postion or hangin down lower than level if they are not level adjust the little tand that the float needle sets on untill its level and when you cleaned the carb out did you use compressed air to blow out all the passages and jetslet us know what u come up with well get er figures out yet -corey-
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

alright Im back to working on my 4 wheeler and I think the timing has been advanced too much, there is a excessive popping noise from the muffler.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
BTK Expert

when does it pop when letting off the accelerater or while idleing?and also the other thing that would cause poping would be a bad carb set up or blockage ,did you adjust the float?and also does it stay running now and not dieing out and how is the power of the motor good?or sluggish?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

yes it does idle alot better but, the plug is still wet fouling but not as bad. I will adjust the float. it pops whens its idling.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:00 PM
BTK Expert

sounds like trhe carb is still dirty and also check the intake manifold the rubber boot at the head the oring sometimes split or it gets worn out and while your at it see if its warped take straight edge to it at the part that goes to the headand if thats ok replace that oring and soak that carb in some sea foam for a day and then blow it all out with compressed air make sure your take out all the jets etc so that seafoam can work its magic on the blockage your making progresss dont get frustrated these carbs are finiky things this is y the plug is wet foulin still or you do not have good compression in the cylinder that is the only 2 things that can cause wet foullin besides lack of spark -corey-
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:26 PM

i have a kawaski 250 bayou and it crankes right up but when you go to give it some trottle it dies but after that it will fire right up. can you tell me what it might be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page