bayou 220 gets warm then dies - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

bayou 220 gets warm then dies

hi,

I have a bayou 220 a2 with some problems that are related. When the engine is cold, it starts fine but, after 3 min of idling it dies and wont start up again till it cools down. Sounds like something is blocked?? Also, I have a dry fouling problem I have set the fuel air mixture right and it still dry fouls the plug.

I dont have a compression tester to check compression, what brand etc do ya'll use to check it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM
BTK Expert

Send a message via AIM to 86klf300guy
hello countryboy have you set the valve lash in the machine lately?and also do you have spark when it dies out on you,have you cleaned the carb out good and check to see if your breather lines are plugged up,try removeing your gas cap when it dies out and listen to see if you hear a vacume sound when removeing the cap if you do you have a plugged breather line and for (dri foul) is the porcelin at the electrod end red or what color is it but by the sounds of it if you adjust the air/fuel screw and it does not change how it runs you prolly got a passage in the carb plugged up use a good cleaner and compressed air to clean out every orfice in the carb,and for a compression tester it a standard gauge but you may have to purchase a smaller thread in for you machine good luck let us know if we can help out ne more-corey-
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 PM
RCW
BTK Expert

Dry fouling means that the plug tip is coated with a black fluffy and sooty carbon that is completely dry. That is always from gasoline fouling, which is the result of more fuel than the incoming air will support for clean combustion.

The advice you got on setting your valve lash is good. However, I would pull the coil and have it tested to be sure it is not breaking down under load.

A weak coil will not generate enough spark to completely ignite the fuel mixture at the proper time, and will result in dry fouling. It is like running with severely retarded timing, the fuel ignites so late that it just soots the works. A coil going bad will also generally start to fail completely after it has run a while and starts to build heat load.

If toys will get me in the door when it is time to go, I have it made!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

how do i set valve lash?? I didnt see that reading through the factory manual that came with it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

double post
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:38 AM
BTK Expert

well before we go there was your coil check out as rcw stated in previous post?but when u adjust valves you have to remove the side cover a timing cover on the left side of bike cam cover and valve covers you have to line up timing marks at top dead center(tdc) both valves closed and the useing a millameter style feeler gauge measure beteewn adjuster screw and valve tip----intake 0.10-0.15 mm exhaust 0.15-0.20 mm cold and also have you had the carb cleaned out?-corey-
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I did check the coil and it does need replacing, the wire has too much resistance. I dont want to spend $70 from Kawasaki. I found this one on ebay

eBay Motors: Kawasaki Bayou 220 1988-2002 Ignition Coil 21121-1198 (item 180233698487 end time Apr-22-08 14:38:24 PDT)

It doesnt have a plug boot on it though, so im guessing I can maybe use the old one?? or a ngk plug wire repair kit?????

Also, I figured out why I had compression loss. The decompression lever was turned up all this time
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
BTK Expert

opps darn levers neways lol and for the plug boot a repair kit will do, good luck let us know how it runs after you replace that coil -corey-
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

update

ok guys here the update

I replaced the coil, it does run a little better but, after about 2 min of idling it died. Same problem Im going to clean the carburetor and see what happens.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

well I cleaned the carb. out, put a new plug in, and then rode for a little after about 5 min of riding it sounds like its missing. Guess its time to set valve lashing, unless theres something else I should try still.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page