Popping out of 1st gear into neutral - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Not A Wild Hog
BTK Expert

Popping out of 1st gear into neutral

Has anyone had, or is anyone having this problem?

I have on 07 900 Classic LT and am having a problem that developed around 7500 miles. When I pull up to a stoplight, I will shift my bike into neutral, so I can take my hand off the clutch (I know they told us not to do that, in the motorcycle safety class). When I am ready to go, I shift into first, but the transmission pops up into neutral. Sometimes I can shift it into first again and it will stay, sometimes it will pop into neutral over and over again, so I have to hold the shifter into first, while I let out the clutch. It never pops out of first, or any other gear, while I am moving along.

This is an intermittent problem, but is becoming more and more common. The weird thing is that the dealership seems to have fixed this problem once, but it is doing it again. Previously, they replaced the "shifting star" and spring. It worked great for 200 miles or so.

The dealership has replaced service managers since then, so I am dealing with a new guy. I asked them to fix this problem, while my bike is in there for repairs after being ran into by a Suburban. The service manager gave me this long explanation of what is happening internal to the transmission. He ended the explanation with basically saying that this is normal and there is nothing they can do to fix it. I didn't accept that response. I asked him why it NEVER did this for the first 7500 miles or so, and why it was fixed for a little while before. He said they would go through it and see what they can find. This is all covered under warranty, so it isn't costing me anything, except the time without my bike.

Has anyone experienced this same problem, or something similar? Was it fixed, and if so, what was the fix? Am I wrong not to accept his basically saying this is normal?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Patriot Guardian
Extreme Forum Supporter

While sitting there with your hand off the clutch, rock the bike a couple of feet forward and backwards.

My 1600 will do the same thing and always has if I go into neutral at a stop and then back into 1st without actually moving the bike.

- Rich
2006 1600 Ultra-Classic
Patriot Guard Rider
Please put your bike year/model in your sig line or fill in your profile before asking for help.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Every dog has it's day...
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLockyer View Post
While sitting there with your hand off the clutch, rock the bike a couple of feet forward and backwards.

My 1600 will do the same thing and always has if I go into neutral at a stop and then back into 1st without actually moving the bike.
+1 Mine gives me some probs every now and then, but I don't put it in neutral at very many lights. There is a lack of stop lights in West Texas... lol.

However I've had other bikes and rocking and back and forth will work most of the time.

Michael
2007 Vulcan 1500 Classic
More Harleys wave to me now that I have a fairing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
BTK Expert

There are occasional times when starting off that mine will pop. However, I can always tell when this is going to happen. When first starting the bike and shifting into first, if I get rewarded with a sharp "clack".....I'm fine. If it's kinda timid sounding...into neutral and shift again. I can tell when it's in there or not. I also make the shift a kind of sharp jab. That seems to take care of things.

Bagel - another name for a Jewish rabbit dog....
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Back in the saddle
Forum Supporter

Had the same thing on my 1500 and a couple of Friends as well with the 1500. Found it happened more if I put it in neutral and didn't let out the clutch before putting back in gear. But instead of looking funny rocking the bike at the light.
Once your stopped go into 2nd gear then to neutral. Now when you go to 1st gear it will be fully engaged every time.

2005 1500 Classic, 2008 Concours 14, 2010 Voyager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 PM
You hate me, & I hate you
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLockyer View Post

+1. I will sometimes put my foot on the shifter and let it roll and I can feel when the gear fully engages and I know Im good.

My mom told me, "If you cant get yourself a ten the least you could do is score five twos'.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Not A Wild Hog
BTK Expert

What is most puzzling to me is that it hasn't always done this. If it had been this way since day 1, I would be accustomed to it now. It is also strange how it had stopped doing it for a short while, after that spring was replaced.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvrider View Post
What is most puzzling to me is that it hasn't always done this. If it had been this way since day 1, I would be accustomed to it now. It is also strange how it had stopped doing it for a short while, after that spring was replaced.
Did you change oil brands recently?

Th3 3nforcer
'02 Vulcan Classic 1500 Fi
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Not A Wild Hog
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th33nforcer View Post
Did you change oil brands recently?
No change in oil.
This issue first started in mid January. About 3 weeks prior, I installed Kuryakyn ISO heal/toe shifter covers ( Küryakyn , Küryakyn ).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvrider View Post
About 3 weeks prior, I installed Kuryakyn ISO heal/toe shifter covers ( Küryakyn , Küryakyn ).
Is it possible that your shifter is hitting something and not allowing a full stroke? Just a thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page