Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/)
-   Kawasaki Cruisers (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/)
-   -   Coolant change on the Mean Streak (https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/124089-coolant-change-mean-streak.html)

meanie 03-15-2010 09:18 AM

Coolant change on the Mean Streak

On the Mean Streak, it is required to remove the fuel tank in order to change the coolant. Has anyone ever been able to do so without removing the tank? Any others who's bike requires them to remove the tank ever change their coolant with the tank on?

Most of the hassle is removing the tank, while the rest is easy. I'm tired of dealing with it and hoping I can change coolant another way, though, I'm not holding my breath.

mcwrath 03-15-2010 10:04 AM

Re: Coolant change on the Mean Streak

The 800 calls for removing the tank as well, but that requires removing the back wheel, etc. I just used a hose to siphon the tank without removing it. The rest of the coolant should drain from the block from a bolt under the bike.

mcwrath 03-15-2010 10:09 AM

Oh duh, I just reread your post, and realized you are probably talking about the gas tank. I was referring to the reservoir ;)

Im not familiar enough with the meanie...but remove the instrument cluster. If you can access the radiator cap underneath, then you do not have to remove the tank.

Idaho 03-15-2010 10:50 AM

You need to remove the tank. Taking the tank off is easy, I've done it numerous times although I've never changed the coolant. That stuff lasts a long time, are you sure you need to change it? But if you do the job here is a bit of good advice I learned from others on this forum: Check all of your hose clamp connections...they get loose now and then and you don't want that problem when you are on the road.

meanie 03-15-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idaho (Post 1922518)
You need to remove the tank. Taking the tank off is easy, I've done it numerous times although I've never changed the coolant. That stuff lasts a long time, are you sure you need to change it? But if you do the job here is a bit of good advice I learned from others on this forum: Check all of your hose clamp connections...they get loose now and then and you don't want that problem when you are on the road.

Yes, it's easy, but it's also time consuming when you must remove the seat, disconnect wiring, remove the nacelle on the tank and wiring, disconnect the hoses under the tank, which is sometimes a dolor en mi culo, then remove the tank to gain access to the radiator cap/filler neck.

My bike is an 02 and I've yet to change the coolant. Though, it may appear to be ok, the protective chemicals and inhibitors can lose effect where they will no longer protect the system thoroughly. I'd rather be safe than sorry as I plan to have this bike for a long time.

meanie 03-15-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcwrath (Post 1922484)
Oh duh, I just reread your post, and realized you are probably talking about the gas tank. I was referring to the reservoir ;)

Im not familiar enough with the meanie...but remove the instrument cluster. If you can access the radiator cap underneath, then you do not have to remove the tank.

Unfortunately, the filler neck is directly under the front of the tank and requires the complete removal to access it.

pat0021 03-15-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meanie (Post 1922548)
Unfortunately, the filler neck is directly under the front of the tank and requires the complete removal to access it.

Same place on the 900. I had to take it off.

GreenDragon 03-15-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meanie (Post 1922546)
Yes, it's easy, but it's also time consuming when you must remove the seat, disconnect wiring, remove the nacelle on the tank and wiring, disconnect the hoses under the tank, which is sometimes a dolor en mi culo, then remove the tank to gain access to the radiator cap/filler neck.

Ugh... i dread the day when I decide to get around to changing the coolant.. :(

cocheese72 03-15-2010 01:17 PM

I think it is 3 yrs or 24k miles on the 900. If not, it is close to that, if you follow the manual.

meanie 03-15-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocheese72 (Post 1922654)
I think it is 3 yrs or 24k miles on the 900. If not, it is close to that, if you follow the manual.

Same for the MS which means I'm way overdo.