Coolant change on the Mean Streak - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Coolant change on the Mean Streak

On the Mean Streak, it is required to remove the fuel tank in order to change the coolant. Has anyone ever been able to do so without removing the tank? Any others who's bike requires them to remove the tank ever change their coolant with the tank on?

Most of the hassle is removing the tank, while the rest is easy. I'm tired of dealing with it and hoping I can change coolant another way, though, I'm not holding my breath.

An intelligent person does not need the promise of a heaven to see the merit in good deeds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I was at D.O.D #1!
BTK Expert

Re: Coolant change on the Mean Streak

The 800 calls for removing the tank as well, but that requires removing the back wheel, etc. I just used a hose to siphon the tank without removing it. The rest of the coolant should drain from the block from a bolt under the bike.

1998 Vulcan 800 classic
"Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I was at D.O.D #1!
BTK Expert

Oh duh, I just reread your post, and realized you are probably talking about the gas tank. I was referring to the reservoir

Im not familiar enough with the meanie...but remove the instrument cluster. If you can access the radiator cap underneath, then you do not have to remove the tank.

1998 Vulcan 800 classic
"Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
BTK Expert

You need to remove the tank. Taking the tank off is easy, I've done it numerous times although I've never changed the coolant. That stuff lasts a long time, are you sure you need to change it? But if you do the job here is a bit of good advice I learned from others on this forum: Check all of your hose clamp connections...they get loose now and then and you don't want that problem when you are on the road.

2004 Blue Marauder 1600

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
You need to remove the tank. Taking the tank off is easy, I've done it numerous times although I've never changed the coolant. That stuff lasts a long time, are you sure you need to change it? But if you do the job here is a bit of good advice I learned from others on this forum: Check all of your hose clamp connections...they get loose now and then and you don't want that problem when you are on the road.
Yes, it's easy, but it's also time consuming when you must remove the seat, disconnect wiring, remove the nacelle on the tank and wiring, disconnect the hoses under the tank, which is sometimes a dolor en mi culo, then remove the tank to gain access to the radiator cap/filler neck.

My bike is an 02 and I've yet to change the coolant. Though, it may appear to be ok, the protective chemicals and inhibitors can lose effect where they will no longer protect the system thoroughly. I'd rather be safe than sorry as I plan to have this bike for a long time.

An intelligent person does not need the promise of a heaven to see the merit in good deeds
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwrath View Post
Oh duh, I just reread your post, and realized you are probably talking about the gas tank. I was referring to the reservoir

Im not familiar enough with the meanie...but remove the instrument cluster. If you can access the radiator cap underneath, then you do not have to remove the tank.
Unfortunately, the filler neck is directly under the front of the tank and requires the complete removal to access it.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
IBA#34418
Extreme Forum Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to pat0021

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanie View Post
Unfortunately, the filler neck is directly under the front of the tank and requires the complete removal to access it.
Same place on the 900. I had to take it off.

If you like your freedom thank a Vet!
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour!
U.S Navy Vet

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanie View Post
Yes, it's easy, but it's also time consuming when you must remove the seat, disconnect wiring, remove the nacelle on the tank and wiring, disconnect the hoses under the tank, which is sometimes a dolor en mi culo, then remove the tank to gain access to the radiator cap/filler neck.
Ugh... i dread the day when I decide to get around to changing the coolant..

Nothing makes you feel more alive than taking a bee to the face at 60 mph.. Shortie helmets rock!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
BTK Expert

I think it is 3 yrs or 24k miles on the 900. If not, it is close to that, if you follow the manual.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72 View Post
I think it is 3 yrs or 24k miles on the 900. If not, it is close to that, if you follow the manual.
Same for the MS which means I'm way overdo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page