I could just scream! - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation I could just scream!

MY BIKE PUKES OIL SO BAD NOW THAT ITS TOO DANGEROUS TO RIDE ANYMORE! If anyone has this same bike with same issue now resolved, I sure would like to hear from you. 256-479-2904 This is a 2006 VN2000A with only 6,257 miles on it and it has never put a drop of oil on the floor and the underside has always been dry. Two days ago after spending most of the day cleaning and shining, I left the house with the oil on the dipstick showing to be half way up the checkered markings. Just over 10 minutes down the road it dumped 12 ounces of oil into the air filter housing witch then quickly collapsed out the bottom backside because the oil has turned the once hard rubber there to a soft and flexible state. Now add engine heat and vibration, then its easy to see how it failed and I'm plenty sure it was not designed to be an oil catch can from the get go. Now I'm too pissed to tell yall how pissed I was while dripping home without rear brakes. I'm done trying to make sense of it all, I'm just searching for a fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 AM
BTK Expert

Sounds like the engine base is not being vented properly. On a car engine the engine is vented through the PCV to the air inlet below the carb while getting air from the air intake before the carb. I'm not sure how this is routed on your bike.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM
BTK Expert

Not that I really know. my disclaimer. hee. How long have you had the motorcycle? If since new, did you follow the break-in procedure? From another forum about a different motorcycle model: "The only route for oil to get into the air filter is via the engine breather and usually indicates blow-by from the pistons/rings causing crankcase pressurisation."

And here's an article about blowby on Cruisers. https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/un...rcycle-engines

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:08 AM
BTK Expert

Also, from another recent topic, have you added any oil? Apparently & according by sfair who's very knowledgeable, the big Vulcans can be easily over-filled. This causes excess pressure & the extra oil ends up in the air filter.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:08 AM
BTK Expert

The V2K has a COMPLETELY different oil check procedure. Read the manual and follow it to a "T".

Basically, the engine has to be at operating temp in order to properly check the oil, and you check it after idling for a minute or two, do NOT rev the engine before the check-idle only.

It's a semi-dry sump system meaning the engine oil isn't all in the crankcase, some of it goes elsewhere...which makes more power, cools the oil better, etc, BUT it makes CHECKING the oil a royal pain in the neck as compared to, say, most cars (pull the stick, read, reinstall on a cold OR hot engine).

90% of the time when I hear of this complaint, the oil level is overfull, and it only takes an ounce of over-filling to puke half of it's capacity out. VERY common.

The next issue is blowby, which hasn't been too much of a problem-at least not here. If the engine has much blowby, the oil will end up puking out of the vent, then all over the side/rear of the bike, on the ground, etc. Is the engine USING any oil? Do you have to fill it often? SOME oil usage is considered normal on these, so keep that in mind. 1 qt every 2000 miles is considered normal per Kawasaki. But again, it has to be checked CORRECTLY, or you'll overfill it and it'll puke.

Also....engines in general can sometimes tend to "make" oil. In other words, fuel vapors can build up in the crankcase, and the oil level rises over time. What causes it? USUALLY, due to riders using the bike at lower speeds, idling basically, lugging the engine, blipping the throttle a lot at a stop light, start & stop a lot, start the bike in the garage for a few seconds then shut it off-do those a few times and it'll make oil, then the oil level rises, and it pukes. More common on the big vulcans and REALLY common on the air cooled Kawasaki Mules used to run to the mailbox and back where it never warms up.

Another scenario I've run across is a DIY oil change gone wrong. Dump the oil from the drain BOLT, then refill per service/owner manual capacity. There are several drain bolts...if they aren't all drained, it'll be a guaranteed overfill and subsequent oil puke out of the intake.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
Sounds like the engine base is not being vented properly. On a car engine the engine is vented through the PCV to the air inlet below the carb while getting air from the air intake before the carb. I'm not sure how this is routed on your bike.
Thanks for your input. I'm up on the routing and it seams to be working well. Oil is being dumped from the crank vent into the filter housing. Still looking for the cause.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Not that I really know. my disclaimer. hee. How long have you had the motorcycle? If since new, did you follow the break-in procedure? From another forum about a different motorcycle model: "The only route for oil to get into the air filter is via the engine breather and usually indicates blow-by from the pistons/rings causing crankcase pressurisation."

And here's an article about blowby on Cruisers. https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/un...rcycle-engines

Thanks for that article man! It was spot on. The break in procedure was done correctly as the rings are well seated. As far as blow by, for now, I just can't except it to be the problem knowing the history of the bike. It only has 6k miles and has been very well cared for. So still looking. Thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Also, from another recent topic, have you added any oil? Apparently & according by sfair who's very knowledgeable, the big Vulcans can be easily over-filled. This causes excess pressure & the extra oil ends up in the air filter.

Thanks and he is right, however there has been no over fill on my watch. Thinking of dragging out my ole KZ 750!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

There are three to be exact and no it has not been over filled on my watch. I am very familiar with the correct procedure however I still have not found the cause. I failed to mention that this problem came over suddenly all at once! I can tell that you know your ****, so if you have any other thoughts on this matter I would like to know them. Thanks a ton!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:27 PM
BTK Expert

Well, if the engine isn't overfilled and it is being properly vented, the other possible cause is too much blowby past the rings!

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page