VN1600B dumped coolant at stoplight - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

VN1600B dumped coolant at stoplight

I bought my mean streak last fall, so this is my first summer with it, FYI. But I rode it a couple hundred miles today and everything was great then I go stuck in traffic when I got back into town. It's 90 and clear blue sunny skies, sitting at a stop light after sitting in slow moving traffic when I look down and see a giant puddle of liquid under my bike. No warning lights were on the dash at all. So I take the first opportunity to pull off the highway and park it in a lot but leave the engine running and got on the ground to see if I could spot anything. It sat there running for a few minutes with nothing but then the radiator fan kicked on and coolant started to drip out of the overflow tank vent tube.

I killed the engine and pulled the side cover off and there was only a tiny bit of coolant left in the overflow tank. So I rode home, turned it off, and immediately took the side cover off again. This time there was more coolant in the tank (just below the low line), but after a minute or two of cooling it was completely empty.

For reference, I had just replaced the coolant a month or so ago and in doing so I did run it until I got hot enough for the fan to kick on and no coolant boiled out of the system at that time. And I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but this couple hundred miles trip took me up into the mountains and I live (and this happened) far closer to sea level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Can't edit for some reason so I'll just add here to clarify. I rode up to Mt Hood in Oregon from the Tri-Cities, WA (213 mile trip each way) on Wednesday morning, and the bike sat at Mt Hood until today, Friday afternoon, and which point I rode it back home. When I got back into Tri-Cities I hit traffic and that is when it dumped the coolant through the overflow drain tube.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 AM
Stoopit Moderator

Sounds like you got a trapped air bubble that's working its way out.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Fairly certain my radiator cap isn't holding pressure.

I checked the radiator and it was full of coolant, so I added some to the reservoir and fired it up then let it idle to operating temp. While it did that I checked the radiator itself for even heating (no issues there), but the radiator tubing never got firm as it came up to temp, then I saw bubbles start to go into the reservoir and it started to boil. Shut it down immediately and could hear the coolant boiling for about 10 seconds.

Going to order a new radiator cap and will just replace the thermostat while I'm in there since that'll eventually **** out on me too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page