Recommendations on lowering a VN800 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Recommendations on lowering a VN800

I know this has probably been covered before, but searching didn't really show anything.

Can anyone make and recommendations on lowering the rear of a VN800. I know Cobra and probably Scoot Works have kits to do it, but who's actually had success? I don't want to order something from the US that doesn't actually work, or doesn't fit like it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:28 AM
Yet another 800 Bobber...
BTK Expert

Hi!
The Cobra and Highway Hawk kits are almost identical and both are crap. You have to compress and modify the shock itself, which is a bloody **** unless you have the tools. And it is an expensive kit considering what it consists of and the result it gives. The bike will only get 2cm lower, hardly seen at all. The advertisments sometimes says 4 cm but that is bullsh*t.

The Scootworks kit costs more but it is the only kit that actually gives a result as far as I know, haven't tried it myself though. You could get the same result by extending the stock links on your own, which involves cutting and welding (instructions).

There is another method that I came up with myself while mounting the Highway Hawk kit. The result is exactly the same but you need no new parts, no drilling, cutting or welding. A similar method is described at the bottom of the site I linked to above, but I have attached a sketch showing an even better way of doing it. It's all about letting the locking nut and the U-shaped bracket swith place with eachother, giving a shorter shock. It will also increase the preload on the spring a bit, so you might want to compensate for that with the 7-step preload ring on the shock.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Lowering.gif (3.1 KB, 117 views)

Currently a VN800A 1995 and a Harley-Davidson FXST 2001
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Looking at the site you included, I don't like the idea of redrilling the shock clevis with the new hole overlapping the old, surely this would create some kind of play in the suspension?

I like your idea of swapping the lock nut and U-shaped bracket though, I can't see why that's not he best idea of the lot. Did you end up doing that Thullan and what was the result? Could perhaps even use a thinner lock nut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 AM
BTK Expert

I should have tried this method above if I had came up with the idea before I bought the Higway Hawk kit. I don't think a thinner locking nut will make any difference. There is one thing to pay attention to though, and that is to leave atleast 1 mm of space where indicated by the red arrow in the attached drawing, or the rocker arm wount be able to pivot (se updated drawing). Please note that I haven't tried this method myself, so there may be some problems that I have overlooked!

I was first also thinking about drilling new fixing holes in the frame where the upper part of the shock attaches (just below the seat), maybe 1-2 cm above the original holes. I never tried this either, but this should be a cheap fix if it works. Would need a bit of courage to try though
Attached Images
File Type: gif Lowering.gif (4.0 KB, 82 views)

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Banned
BTK Expert

Get the Scootworks kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomVN
I know this has probably been covered before, but searching didn't really show anything.

Can anyone make and recommendations on lowering the rear of a VN800. I know Cobra and probably Scoot Works have kits to do it, but who's actually had success? I don't want to order something from the US that doesn't actually work, or doesn't fit like it should.
When i had my 800 i bought the Scootworks Clevis kit. It involves compressing the spring ( which is simple ) and replacing the clevis with an aftermarket one. The instructions are very easy to follow and you don't need to buy a compressor kit for the spring. Canadian Tire spring clamps work fine. This will drop it about 1.5 inches. Or you can buy the 3 inch kit which they sell as well. I have the 3 inch one on my 900LT and believe me it worked. It was to low for the 900 though so i had to raise it to 2 inches. Theres a site called Tweaks where he describes how to do this in detail. If i can find the site i'll post it but i dont have time right now. Perhaps someone on here has the link?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindianaJones
Theres a site called Tweaks where he describes how to do this in detail. If i can find the site i'll post it but i dont have time right now. Perhaps someone on here has the link?
Yes, that's the link I submited in my previous post

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
BTK Expert

question?

Has anyone who has lowered the vn800 had any trouble bottoming out when going thru potholes and such?

98 Vulcan 800a (always changing)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
btob
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomVN

Get ahold of 'texas metrics'. He's accomplished this on V2K's and 900's. He's a member of our forum, his name is Ed Macri.

This Place Is Adictive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

I never had any problems with my 800 bottoming out at 1.5" lowered, even with a passenger but my 900 will bottom out with a passenger at 2" so i have to be very carefull going off curbs and turning right. Its fine with just me on it though.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindianaJones
I never had any problems with my 800 bottoming out at 1.5" lowered, even with a passenger but my 900 will bottom out with a passenger at 2" so i have to be very carefull going off curbs and turning right. Its fine with just me on it though.
When I first saw the vn900 my first thought was that there was to much gap between the rear fender and tire. Maybe raising the rear 1/2" will solve the problem.

Reason I was asking is because everytime I go thru railroad tracks or speedbumps I have to lift myself up a bit so it wont hit hard. She is dropped 2 3/4" in the rear. I have the preload on the spring at the stiffest setting. Oh well, it looks good though. LOL

98 Vulcan 800a (always changing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page