vn900 FI light - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

vn900 FI light

Having an issue with my '06 vn900. The FI light comes on after the bike is warm and only at idle speed. As soon as I hit the throttle, it turns off, and stays off until I come to a complete stop and the engine speed returns to normal idle speed. I have cobra pipes, fi2000r, and BAK. It didn't start happening until after I installed the BAK. I had the pipes and fi2000r installed at the shop. Is there any way it could be the result of idle speed being too low? I have seen other threads on here about letting it idle too low. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
"If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand."
VROC# 26289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
BTK Beginner

Had the same issue. Bump the idle up a bit.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
BTK Expert

Yeah, the idle is set to low.

MSF Coach
VROC Member #25609
OKVROC Member #92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Patriot Guardian
Extreme Forum Supporter

+1.
Idle spec is 1,000, +/- 50.
Idle it too low to make it sound like a Harley and you'll starve the top end for oil and gall the cam bearings.

- Rich
2006 1600 Ultra-Classic
Patriot Guard Rider
Please put your bike year/model in your sig line or fill in your profile before asking for help.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Cruisin above overcast.
Forum Supporter

Yikes! Hence, the red warning light.

'07 Plasma Blue Kawasaki 900 Custom.
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Aviation and history fanatic.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Patriot Guardian
Extreme Forum Supporter

Yup... Harleys, RoadStars, and even the V2K are pushrod type engines. The rocker arms can tolerate a few minutes of low oil pressure while sitting at a red light, but the 800, 900, 1500/1600 are all overhead cam engines.

They WILL idle down to 650-700 RPM... and you'll get an oil pressure light.

That's what I like about the LCD display on the 1600/V2K... in addition to getting the EFI light, you also get a character on the LCD that tells you what the problem is. EFI light alone = fuel/computer malfunction. Overheating or low oil pressure and you get an icon on the screen.

Here's the 1600 dash during startup/shutdown:

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockye...600startup.mpg

- Rich
2006 1600 Ultra-Classic
Patriot Guard Rider
Please put your bike year/model in your sig line or fill in your profile before asking for help.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Deeppurple52
BTK Expert

Rich is correct. Nearly every metric bike I encounter on the road has the idle set way too low. I guess we all think it should sound like a Harley (or John Deere). Crank it up a couple of hundred and see what happens. If the light remains on take it to the dealer and get it fixed. Home repairs on a system that you might not fully understand is a mistake. Please let us know the outcome.

Enjoy the ride!

2002 Honda ST1100
1996 BMW R1100RT
2004 1600 Classic
2006 900 Classic
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Thanks guys. I guess if I want bigger sound, I should probably get a bigger bike! Or, just be happy with what I've got. Which I am!

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
"If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand."
VROC# 26289
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 AM
BTK Intermediate

I'm new to biking. I grew up with off-road vehicles and ATVs but finally bought a bike after having wanted one since the age of six(playing with motorcycle lego man).

Now that I'm about to turn 25 and bored with life I bought a Vulcan 900 Custom.

It has been very fun and I took to handling it pretty quick once I got the clutch timing down.

The bad thing, aside from the $114 initial service charge(oil change) after 600 miles, is that my FI light began coming on today.

Now that I have been burned with a $114 oil change I don't like the idea of taking my bike in to the kawi dealer because I'm not a wealthy guy with a lot of money to throw at them.

My light only comes on when stopped at a light or after starting the bike and idling. It sounds like you folks with the low RPM problem that need to be adjusted. I will ask for an opinion at the dealer tomorrow when I pick up my tags but if it's something simple that I can adjust then I'd much rather do it myself so I can pay my bills

I have been riding this bike for 2.5 weeks and have put 1,000 miles on the bike, with 650 being a weekend trip. I'd say that I've broken in the bike in a short amount of time. What can I say? I can't leave it alone :P
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Patriot Guardian
Extreme Forum Supporter

Idle adjustment is the little black knob... normally under the airbox on the right side. Should be toward the rear, easy to reach while seated.

- Rich
2006 1600 Ultra-Classic
Patriot Guard Rider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page