500/750/800/900cc - Page 410 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4091 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Lovin' the 800 Classic!

Re: 500/750/800/900cc

Thanks guys, for all the help. Gas was definately the first thing I checked, as well as popped the gas cap in case the tak had created a vacuum. When I get a chance I'll check for the vacuum hose on the petcock. Thanks again for the quick responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4092 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Lovin' the 800 Classic!

So I went out and checked all the little hoses from the petcock and they're all connected. I just got the bike back from the shop on tuesday for a float replacement and cleaning on the carb. I did change out the exhaust but other than that everything is stock and looks like its in good shape. Could one of the lines be clogged?
post #4093 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
This We'll Defend
BTK Expert

Did you follow the vacuum line to the carb to make sure its plugged in there? Since they took the carb off to change the float and clean it, theres a good chance they either didn't hook it up right, there's a cut in it, or they didn't hook it up at all.

'01 Vulcan 800 Not-so-Classic-Anymore
VROC #28339
SFWC #0001 (stir fry wok club)
CVMA KY Chapter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4094 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
BTK Beginner

Hey everyone, I'm back, finally. I was checking my email and see where someone has replied to a thread on here, and thought to myself: It has been a while.

I just lost track of everything lately, between the new house and getting married. I started working on my 800 again. I tried to pull the tank off, but it kept pouring gas from the petcock. I thought it was vacuum operated and shouldn't leak like that. Do any of you know of petcocks going bad or am I doing something wrong?
post #4095 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Is it safe to jack-up the bike on it's oil pan?

Hey folks I can't seem to make a new thread, somethings messed up, but I guess thats what this is here for anyways... maybe a reply will work instead....

I has a question!

I have one of those cheap Motorcycle/ATV jacks from Canadian Tire (almost identical to the one at HF). My stupid en500 has the exhaust pipes running directly below the frame rails, and there's no way to lift by the frame, not even a cross member... so if I were to lift the bike to pull the wheels off, I'd have to lay a couple short lengths of 2x4 across the jack so it will lift on the oil pan and not the exhaust.

It seems strong enough but I want to be SURE before I do it for any length of time... I know the bike isn't terribly heavy, but I'll be using ratchet straps to help stabilize it and it may be up for a week or so... is it safe to lift by the oil pan?

'05 Kawasaki ZR750-K (Z750S) / '98 KLF 300 4X4
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine what you did as success."
post #4096 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I was at D.O.D #1!
BTK Expert

I lift mine by the pan all the time. I guess I just assumed it was okay. I would be curious to know others opinions on this as well. (although I dont leave it on the jack for more than a couple hours at a time)

1998 Vulcan 800 classic
"Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4097 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Smidbike here,

How about cold weather does it make any performance difference running 87?

I ride for all things good

96 vulcan 900 classic
post #4098 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

Re: Is it safe to jack-up the bike on it's oil pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76brian View Post
Hey folks I can't seem to make a new thread, somethings messed up, but I guess thats what this is here for anyways... maybe a reply will work instead....

I has a question!

I have one of those cheap Motorcycle/ATV jacks from Canadian Tire (almost identical to the one at HF). My stupid en500 has the exhaust pipes running directly below the frame rails, and there's no way to lift by the frame, not even a cross member... so if I were to lift the bike to pull the wheels off, I'd have to lay a couple short lengths of 2x4 across the jack so it will lift on the oil pan and not the exhaust.

It seems strong enough but I want to be SURE before I do it for any length of time... I know the bike isn't terribly heavy, but I'll be using ratchet straps to help stabilize it and it may be up for a week or so... is it safe to lift by the oil pan?
If you Google "motorcycle jack adapter" there is a bracket that will sit on the jack and fit the frame. Kind of expensive IMHO around $65. I also know of someone on another forum who welded up one of their own that did the same thing.
post #4099 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown recluse View Post
If you Google "motorcycle jack adapter" there is a bracket that will sit on the jack and fit the frame. Kind of expensive IMHO around $65. I also know of someone on another forum who welded up one of their own that did the same thing.
I can't think of any possible bracket that would work because the exhaust runs directly under the frame tubes, and the oil pan sits just slightly lower than the frame.

Cross sectioned, it would look pretty much like this:

o\_oil pan_/o <--- frame tubes
( ) . . . . . ( ) <--- exhaust pipes

'05 Kawasaki ZR750-K (Z750S) / '98 KLF 300 4X4
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine what you did as success."
post #4100 of 4551 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76brian View Post
I can't think of any possible bracket that would work because the exhaust runs directly under the frame tubes, and the oil pan sits just slightly lower than the frame.

Cross sectioned, it would look pretty much like this:

o\_oil pan_/o <--- frame tubes
( ) . . . . . ( ) <--- exhaust pipes
Really? On my bike the frame and pipes are not that way. The pipes are lower, but set outside the frame. There are a couple of close spots but plenty of other areas where there is nothing directly below the frame.

** Ahh.. I see you have the "A" model 500. That explains the difference. Why don't you check out the EN500 Yahoo group? I'm willing to bet someone there can help.

EN500 : Vulcan 500 LTD and Classic EN500

Anyway, I use a rear swingarm lift. It gets the bike vertical and the rear off the ground. I'll probably have to find a floor jack when the time comes to work on the front of the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page