KX-80 clutch basket problem - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

KX-80 clutch basket problem

I just replaced the clutch on my sons 1987 KX-80. When I tighten the 5 bolts that hold the springs in the clutch basket, they become compressed all the way down. I bought a manual and all it says it tighten the bolts down tight. Is there anyone out there that can explain to me what I am doing wrong or what i need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
BTK Expert

pictures would help. I tried looking at a parts diagram and that is a backwards looking clutch.

So you followed the manual? The springs should be compressed. The bolt head should seat though (to part your threading into). If not, something is too long- clutch plate stack or spring's compressed height.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

There was another post a couple months ago with the same problem. I contacted that guy and he still does not have an answer either. I am going to try and find his posts because it has the parts manual pictures of exactly what is wrong.
I took it apart and put it back together 3 times and It does the same thing. I cannot see why there is an issue. I understand that the springs should be compressed; but what is going to spread the springs. When I put the cover back on and try the clutch it is solid.
any ideas; do I need to torque the main nut and see if that should seat something? I just do not know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 AM
MX. Dad and Racer.
BTK Intermediate

It should compress the springs down , i dont know the tourque spec , just snug them down put it back together and try it .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 PM

87 kx 80 stiff clutch and will not dissengage completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul331 View Post
It should compress the springs down , i dont know the tourque spec , just snug them down put it back together and try it .
I have the same problem with my bike, does anyone know what this could be? It seems that my springs are compressed completely when I tighten the bolts on the pressure plate. Is my clutch pack worn? Doesn't make sense to me if it is worn because like i said it will not fully disengage and is hard to pull into neutral. Please help
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Hye there; did you get any help for your issue? I have taken the clutch basket apart and put it back together 10 times and no change..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Re: KX-80 clutch basket problem

same problem, had to tear it apart because it was at a carpenter's house who tried to fix it, went to check plates and clutches, and realized this is clutch back-asswards, but I'm wondering, do you actually run the bolts all the way in? or do you leave them part way out for spring compression? it looks like the clutch works backwards from what most people are used to.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Hey, lemme ride your bike
BTK Expert

They are tightened to a certain torque, as shown in the service manual. There is some gap so the clutch works.

DO NOT e-mail me asking for a pdf of a manual!! Get a Freaking JOB like I did, and buy one!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM

hi i had the same problem tighten down the bolts all the way down then back them out about 5 turns or two thumb nail withs and the clutch should work
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:06 AM

Won?t loosening the bolts allow the bolts to turn out with all the vibration in the engine???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page