KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT

Hey guys

I just bought an 06 250F yesterday, and its literally got about 6 hours on it from the previous owner. I started it up today and let it sit but after a minute or two i looked down and the header pipe is GLOWING RED. I am a newbie to a dirtbike but i know thats not good. The bike is immaculate and bone stock. What are some things i should check out? Thanks. Look forward to learning from all of yall here.

Jeremy
JDub85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Hey, lemme ride your bike
BTK Expert
 
KDXGarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: AL, USA
Posts: 1,975
It might be lean, but depending on how many minutes you let it set there, you may need to just ride it. The air flowing across it cools it down.

DO NOT e-mail me asking for a pdf of a manual!! Get a Freaking JOB like I did, and buy one!
KDXGarage is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 AM
gaz
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 252
our 06 kxf250 pipe glowed in the shed if left idling too long. The pipe was red for about 50mm from the head ex port, but the bike never missed a beat when ridden.
gaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Patriot Guardian
Extreme Forum Supporter
 
RichLockyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 28,016
+1

With no airflow over the pipe, it will glow red.

You also have no airflow through the radiator, so it doesn't take long to overheat.

- Rich
2006 1600 Ultra-Classic
Patriot Guard Rider
Please put your bike year/model in your sig line or fill in your profile before asking for help.
RichLockyer is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
BTK Expert
 
Polar_Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: southern New Hampsihre USA
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub85 View Post
Hey guys

I just bought an 06 250F yesterday, and its literally got about 6 hours on it from the previous owner. I started it up today and let it sit but after a minute or two i looked down and the header pipe is GLOWING RED. I am a newbie to a dirtbike but i know thats not good. The bike is immaculate and bone stock. What are some things i should check out? Thanks. Look forward to learning from all of yall here.

Jeremy
Your head pipe glowing is normal. Most all newer hybred MX 4 strokes under certain conditions you will see the head pipe glowing cherry red. The pipes are made from thinwall stainless steel or Titanium tubing, and with the engine idleing, and the bike not moving, the pipe will glow. My '02 WR250F did it, and I freaked until other 250F riders all had the same issue. Now my '07 YZ450F also still does it if I let it idle..

Bikes:
'08 YZ144
'01 KX500
'84 GPz1100:
'87 GSXR 750
'06 HD Fatboy
Polar_Bus is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Stocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Far West Side of Phoenix (Avondale)
Posts: 5
Re: KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT

I have never seen my header pipe glow before. It got so red two weekends ago whenI kicked it over that it worried me. It was also no running well and I suspected a stuck exhaust valve. After a compression test I ruled that out and went to the carb and fuel. Bad or old fuel and gummed jets. Bike is running great now, but the pipe glowing is still making me anxious. If I sit too long idling it'll start to glow and as soon as I start moving it'll cool down, but as I said earlier it has never done this before.
Stocked is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
maico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 255
Re: KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT

A modern 4 stroke is not designed with sitting and idling in mind.
You start it, warm it up, and ride it.
If it is otherwise running good with no pinging, popping, or high reving, and your plug color looks good, your golden.
When your going to sit, shut it off.

It's what you learn after you think you know it all that counts. Which is why I'm still learning :-)
maico is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Stocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Far West Side of Phoenix (Avondale)
Posts: 5
Re: KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
A modern 4 stroke is not designed with sitting and idling in mind.
You start it, warm it up, and ride it.
If it is otherwise running good with no pinging, popping, or high reving, and your plug color looks good, your golden.
When your going to sit, shut it off.
Understood, it'e the warm up period that I am referring to, U have owned this bike since '08 and have never seen the pipe do what it did, I live in Phoenix and racing in the summer is pretty **** hot and I could kick the bike over and then put my helmet, gloves and goggles on and it wouldn't turn red. I kick it over at the starting gate and sit there with it revved pretty high waiting for a gate drop and it would barely glow red, but now after kicking it over it'll turn red at idle fairly quickly. In the time it would take me to put my gloves helmet and goggles on where that was never the case before, that's what prompted me to search for a thread like this to see what could be the culprit to this changing. Is it time, normal wear, valve adjustment? Just curious as to why it has just started to do this since the bad gas.
Stocked is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
BTK Expert
 
Cynjut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 1,456
Re: KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT

If the bike has started leaning out, it could literally be anything from cruft on the petcock filter to leaks around the exhaust pipes. That includes valves (worn, damaged, or out of adjustment), cylinders (lower compression causes lower vacuum), carb mounts, intake boots, cruft in the idle jet(s), etc.

Check the plugs - those should give you a good clue.

If the bike is running lean, the plugs will tell you. After that, if you tell us, we might be able to say something other than "could be almost anything."
Cynjut is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Stocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Far West Side of Phoenix (Avondale)
Posts: 5
Re: KX250F: Header pipe RED HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynjut View Post
If the bike has started leaning out, it could literally be anything from cruft on the petcock filter to leaks around the exhaust pipes. That includes valves (worn, damaged, or out of adjustment), cylinders (lower compression causes lower vacuum), carb mounts, intake boots, cruft in the idle jet(s), etc.

Check the plugs - those should give you a good clue.

If the bike is running lean, the plugs will tell you. After that, if you tell us, we might be able to say something other than "could be almost anything."
Plug looks fine. Dry and a light tan in color.
Stocked is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome