Kx250 kickstarter slipping (but not stripped) - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Kx250 kickstarter slipping (but not stripped)

The kickstarter on my 1990 kx250 is slipping. I took it apart yesterday and nothing is stripped. nothing actually appears worn or broken. I can't figure out what the problem could be. The only thing i could think of is there is alittle bit of play in the kickstarter shaft. You can move it in and out of the case about 3mm. Could this be the source of my slipping? What else should i check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
BTK Beginner

hey man having the same issue with a 1995 kx250. When i got the bike used the compression reading was 190psi. I believe the problem is the worn out rings.You might want to check your compression. Sears,pep boys etc, sells a compression tester that screws into the spark plug hole on top of the cyclinder. Kick the bike over with the throttle wide open for a couple of kicks. The highest reading is your compression. If you get a low reading that might explain why it feels like the kickstarter is slipping. good luck man...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 AM

If I understand you, you are saying that when you apply pressure to kick start, the kicker will slip down as though the gears are out of alignment. Correct? If so, you have already answered your question. When you engage to kick start, you should be able to feel contact "gear meshing", which means the shaft is applying load to the engine. If this is only momentary and the gear slips freely when you apply force, your gears are worn or you have some bushings that are worn and are creating a misalignment. This is not difficult to troubleshoot and identify the root cause and not hard at all to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
BTK Expert

sometimes worn gears or bad spring most people would say.

Is your trans oil thick or a heavy weight? Is it cold where you are at? Is there water in your trans oil?

When my water pump seal went bad my trans oil got thick cause of contamination and the kicker started slipping. Fixed the seal and added ATF type F and it doesn't slip anymore.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM

not to sure if you are having the same problem i was having a while back, but if it is the same check out the link to the thread, i put pics up to try and explain it(not easy to explain)

https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ml#post1380501
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 AM

I had a similar problem on a 1995 YZ 80. How far did you dig into the cases or did you just pull the kick start lever off? The problem that had arose with the 80 was the inner teath had hardened over time and became brittle and upon one day of kicking the teath on that inner gear broke. this would cause that bike to seem like it was catching for a moment and then all of a sudden give way to nothing. If nothing else has worked I would look into this scenario as a last/ worst case. Good luck

John Theros
2003 KX 250 #386
2007 KX 450 #122
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:23 PM
BTK Beginner

This happens to most KX's, it's not the gear teeth that wear, it's the bush in the centre that wears. Buy a new gear or shim both sides up to the circlips.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe3234 View Post
This happens to most KX's, it's not the gear teeth that wear, it's the bush in the centre that wears. Buy a new gear or shim both sides up to the circlips.

I've had 9 KX's over the past 22 years and NEVER had this issue with the kickstart ratchet mechanism.

Bikes:
'08 YZ144
'01 KX500
'84 GPz1100:
'87 GSXR 750
'06 HD Fatboy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey, lemme ride your bike
BTK Expert

worn spring, worn idle gear, worn spur gear

DO NOT e-mail me asking for a pdf of a manual!! Get a Freaking JOB like I did, and buy one!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 02:09 PM
BTK Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Bus View Post
I've had 9 KX's over the past 22 years and NEVER had this issue with the kickstart ratchet mechanism.
You've obviously never owned an old poorly looked after KX then.....there are a lot of them out there...!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page