kx 250 stalls when put into gear?? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

kx 250 stalls when put into gear??

I was having a problem a few weeks back where my bike would just want to pull even after i pulled the clutch lever in when coming to a stop.

So i started to adjust it, thinking it wasnt engaging enough....well then i lost ALL clutch.

Thought i would just replace it all.....so i got a new basket, hub, plates,springs.

Well assembled it all and when i start it in NEUTRAL and then put the clutch lever in and go to kick it in to gear it cuts out IMMEDIATLY. (thats why i replaced all these parts in the 1st place)
Seems like i have no clutch at all.
But i tested a few things and you can see the basket tighten up and such.

anyone know what the problem is? i heard maybe the plates are sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Tree Magnet
BTK Expert

unfortunately, you didn't diagnose the problem before you replaced everything. It may very well be that your new plates are sticking (you have to soak the fibers in oil), and that is was dragging before due to a notched basket or other problem.
or you still have the same problem. Check your cable play. Also make sure you got everything back together in the right order. the clearances are essential - yuo can't have a washer in the wrong place.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

well originally i had taken the bike to the Kawasaki dealership and they said it was the clutch basket....but they couldnt garantee it. $1300 later
the basket was notch and had looked to have been grinded so i just bought new stuff.

But ORIGINALLY this all stemmed from me trying to adjust the cable....then i lost all clutch....is there 2 types of adjustments to the cable? this is what i heard?

but everything is put back together in order....i did soak the fiber plates in oil prior to install....as for the cable play...i have adjust that thing quite a few times now and the same thing....anything else come to mind????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

ok heres an update.... i have once again tried adjusting the cable..till it was pretty stiff to engage...
When the bike is running and i pull the clutch lever, it quiets down as if it is working and when i let go its loud again.
i have it off of the ground and even with no force on the wheels there seems to be no clutch....but like i said, it sounds as if it is engaging

any help would be appreciated
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Tree Magnet
BTK Expert

adust the cable play so that you can fit a nickle between the lever and perch before you feel tension.
It sounds like your cable is too loose or stretched and isn't properly disengaging the clutch.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

which adjuster do i use? i have one at the perch and 1 about 6 inches away from the perch. do they both do the same?
also when the clutch lever is pulled how much play should i have in between the plates?
i have the clutch cover off and the plates are loose when the clutch lever is pulled.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Tree Magnet
BTK Expert

Use the perch adjuster until you can no longer adjust to the usable range, then use the cable adjuster.

HOWEVER, if with the clutch cover off, you can pull the lever and the plates are loose enough to rattle, then you have an assembly problem - not dragging plates.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
BTK Expert

I used a torque wrench on the spring bolts and torqued them to about 5 ft lbs which seemed to be plenty tight. So, like dmstarr said on my clutch post you would probably break the spring bolt before over tightening them. It sounds like you may not have tightened the spring bolts tight enough since your plates are loose or you have an assembly problem...

Did you use a service manual for your bike when you put the new clutch in?

My clutch feels normal now that i've connected it to the cable...i haven't tested with the bike running yet. Here's a pic of my clutch adjustment it will probably need a little tweaking once the bike is running but should be close
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

i did use a manual. My plates arent loose.....until i pull the clutch lever....which is normal correct? or are the supposed to be TIGHT when the clutch lever is pulled?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stangz View Post
My plates arent loose.....until i pull the clutch lever....which is normal correct? or are the supposed to be TIGHT when the clutch lever is pulled?
I'm not sure if that's normal or not...i didn't look at plates while the cover was off after i connected the cable the clutch felt normal so i moved on. This was the 1st time that i took a clutch apart and put it back in. I did mine because i needed to soak the plates in oil since the motor that i did some rebuilding on hadn't been used in a while.

If i were you i would probably take the clutch back out lay all the parts out and take your time to make sure everything is fitted back the way it's suppose to be look at the parts diagram as you follow the steps to put it back together...since you have a new clutch housing and kit it seems like somethings not right with the assembly especially since you've tried adjusting the cable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page