98 KX250 Hard to Start Hot or Cold - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

98 KX250 Hard to Start Hot or Cold

I have to kick the bike over 10 times before it will start but when its running it runs great bottom end and top end its solid but its just brutal starting the **** thing i have a few ideas about what it may be but whos knows, any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention it has great compression and no problem with spark plugs im thinkin it has to be something in the carb
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:53 PM

there is a wee trick that works for when its cold, get the bike almost on its left hand side, lay it down so hand grip is almost on the ground, let the fuel run out of carb,stand her up again, two small kicks to turn it over then one big kick, good luck

i have also tried diffrent socks and closing one eye sometimes that helps but not often
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 AM

i had issues starting my 92kx250 when i first got it.. i couldn't even kick it over when i went to check it out take it for a spin.. but the other guy did it no problem.. got it home.. next day i did about 20 kicks and nothing.. next day i go out in a pair of workboots and bam first kick.. i have broken the bottom rubber on 3 pairs of shoes while kicking it over and find it very had to kick over in a pair of shoes (although i use skate shoes which have a very soft sole) but when i throw on work boots with a very hard sole/bottom shel fire in at most 3 or 4 kicks.. but normally first or 2nd..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM

how fresh is the top end , piston, rings,power valve ect? might seem tight but not really.. do you keep the carb empty when not riding? silly i know but clean properly oiled filter? does your bike idle?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:03 PM

whats the story with the carb full or empty, then mustang dave???
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM

depending on how long it sits , the fuel can get rancid, if you buy pump gas and buy it here and there you never know what you are getting. a good practice is shutting off the fuel and running it empty if its going to sit for a while . when its cold try slowly rolling the motor over 4 or 5 times with the choke on, then one good kick, works for every 2 stroke i have. ( 10 )actually. i'm not a geru but i do all my own bike work and service on everything i have . its not cool breaking down in the middle of the desert, and while racing even worse. still sounds to me like a compression problem tho. hard to fix when it aint here.. sorry your having trouble thats a sweet ride to own!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Could it be something with the reed valve? I also have a hard time staring it if its 40 degrees out side but after it runs 1st kick always after that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page