I Keep Blowing Out My Shocks! Need Help - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I Keep Blowing Out My Shocks! Need Help

Hello.

I have a 1983 KZ440 LTD and I am having a problem with the rear shocks. I have moved the seat back a bit and now I have more weight on the rear wheel. Its much more comfortable as I now have more leg room, etc. But now I am obviously overloading the stock rear shocks. Does any know of maybe a shock from a 650 or 750 will fit my bike?

I have set the pre-spring to the highest setting and I bottom them out all the time. I have purchased new shocks and they do the same thing. Eventually all the fluid runs out and then I am just riding on springs. I have even broken the piston on one side. Oh, I also drag both the side and center stands.

Bottom line is I need a beefier rear shock and probably a few inches taller.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The bike is probably only worth $500, so I don't want to spend too much money on fixing the problem. So a $500 custom shock is not going to make the cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170716_161009.jpg (815.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:30 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

How heavy are you?

New shocks should not 'blow out' like that but if they came on the bike which would make them about 35 years old they are beyond useless except to hold the rear tire off the fender. I picked up a pair of new discontinued progressive shocks a few years ago on ebay for less that 50 bucks because I did not have much money I just watched until I found some that fit my bike and budget.

If you are doing the type of damage you say maybe you need a larger bike. jmo

1986 LTD 454

Last edited by kawpaul; 07-18-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 AM
BTK Expert

For probably $300 or maybe 400, you can get a set of progressive shocks and springs. Other than that, you can go hard tail or get a bigger bike.

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
I really don't see why people ask for advice if their not going to take the advice given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 AM
BTK Expert

Like these

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...hocks?m=150512

Jim
I really don't see why people ask for advice if their not going to take the advice given.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawpaul View Post
How heavy are you?

New shocks should not 'blow out' like that but if they came on the bike which would make them about 35 years old they are beyond useless except to hold the rear tire off the fender. I picked up a pair of new discontinued progressive shocks a few years ago on ebay for less that 50 bucks because I did not have much money I just watched until I found some that fit my bike and budget.

If you are doing the type of damage you say maybe you need a larger bike. jmo
Thanks... I am 230 lbs and my passenger is 150... We are easily 380 lbs. Probably exceeding the weight limits of the bike or at least very close to it. I should check... But with my custom seat that pushes us back more on the rear wheel, its putting a lot of pressure on the rear shocks. The front end is very light. I probably can pop wheelies very easy with only a 440 cc engine.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimray23 View Post
For probably $300 or maybe 400, you can get a set of progressive shocks and springs. Other than that, you can go hard tail or get a bigger bike.

Jim
What I was hoping was to fit a set of 650 or 750 shocks on my bike. It would be like going to the bigger bike but without all the expense.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimray23 View Post
Like these

Jim
Nice shocks! But at $270, that's a lot to spend on an old junker bike. The bike runs, but burns oil and is probably on borrowed time. I really don't want to spend more than a $100 fixing this problem. $50 would be even better.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirider View Post
Nice shocks! But at $270, that's a lot to spend on an old junker bike. The bike runs, but burns oil and is probably on borrowed time. I really don't want to spend more than a $100 fixing this problem. $50 would be even better.
What the bike is worth depends on how much you like it. My kz is probably not worth much more than yours but i really like the bike so i do what i have to to keep it on the road. If the bike is not worth more than a couple hundred to you, you should probably go ahead and find one that is worth your time to fix. These old bikes are not cheap to fix but they keep us going.

Jim
kawpaul likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 AM
BTK Expert

Progressive has an extensive on-line catalog. It probably will not list a shock for your bike as it didn't for my 85ZN700. I put the bike on the center stand and measured the length and eye bolt diameter and looked for one that would fit. There were 3 different spring selections depending on the load. I suspect you just need shocks with stiffer springs. You can probably find what you need there.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
Progressive has an extensive on-line catalog. It probably will not list a shock for your bike as it didn't for my 85ZN700. I put the bike on the center stand and measured the length and eye bolt diameter and looked for one that would fit. There were 3 different spring selections depending on the load. I suspect you just need shocks with stiffer springs. You can probably find what you need there.
I am sure I could... But Progressive is more $ than I want to put in this old bike. I need a less expensive solution. Otherwise I will just keep putting on old KZ440 shocks on the bike and replace them when the fluid starts leaking form them. Usually about 2 or 3 thousand miles or a few good bumps, whichever comes first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page