Engine Warning Indicator On After Oil Change - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Question Engine Warning Indicator On After Oil Change

Hello,

Recently changed the engine oil for the Ninja EX 650 KHFA KRt Ed. Used Motul 7100 10w-40 (MA2 Rating). Whilst constantly checking the engine oil sight glass, I ensured the oil level is between the minimum and maximum. Then I took the bike out for a test ride, everything was fine for first 500m then the engine warning indicator came on and it's not going off. I'm not sure what's exactly the problem that's causing this. Anyone every experienced this before? I let the engine warm up for 10 minutes today, checked the engine oil; it's still between minimum and maximum, so I don't think it's insufficient oil that's causing this... any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 AM
BTK Expert

Of course the oil level should be checked when engine is cold, and level on a center stand or lift.

When changing oil, and filter, filling to sight glass is only for first reference, keeping track of how much is going in. Then is good crank the engine for a few seconds, shut it off, walk away for at least 30 mins, let oil settle back in the sump, and check again. It usually would need a little more.

All that said. After an oil change, is normal for the oil pressure light to stay on longer as the new oil is pushed into a empty oil filter, and other crevices, but after that, light should not be on if the amount of oil is in the ballpark.

....if you insists you have the right amount, then the oil pressure switch may be defective.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Stoopit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugojose View Post
Of course the oil level should be checked when engine is cold, and level on a center stand or lift.

When changing oil, and filter, filling to sight glass is only for first reference, keeping track of how much is going in. Then is good crank the engine for a few seconds, shut it off, walk away for at least 30 mins, let oil settle back in the sump, and check again. It usually would need a little more.

All that said. After an oil change, is normal for the oil pressure light to stay on longer as the new oil is pushed into a empty oil filter, and other crevices, but after that, light should not be on if the amount of oil is in the ballpark.

....if you insists you have the right amount, then the oil pressure switch may be defective.
I think it's important to note here that the OP did not say his "oil pressure light" is on, he said his "engine warning indicator" came on. I assumed that to be what we commonly call the "check engine light". Also, his bike may not have an oil pressure light, it may be like mine and have an oil level low indicating light.

Perhaps the OP can look in his owner manual and tell us exactly what light is on and what oil-related lights he has that are not on.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:24 PM
BTK Beginner

You did not mention changing the oil filter but normally this is done with every oil change. Did you also change the filter?
This could be the source of the problem.

Also when you say "everything was fine for the first 500m" do you mean 500 metres or 500 miles?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page