'83 CSR 650 / starter button circuit - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

'83 CSR 650 / starter button circuit

greetings, my restore of my '83 650 got me to disassemble of the starter button housing to clean all the electrical contacts & connections in there ......got it all nice & clean, BUT !!! I am not certain I installed the red hot lead (green arrow in photo) to the correct spot, as it could also install under screw at (red arrow in photo) ....my guess is the way I have it is correct, as pushing the button completes the starter circuit which fires the starter, when the button is released (spring loaded), starter stops spinning .....this is truly a sanity check as I am not good with electrical and cannot afford a major short, fuse pop or wire frying inside my harness by pushing the starter button if it's not connected correctly .....the Kawasaki part number for this starter button housing is 46091-1155 ....also, the Clymer manual does not break down this starter button housing nor show its internal electrical connections .....here is the photo:
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR THE ASSIST !!! (bummer, the forum will not allow me to post my photo to this thread nor a FlickR link of my photo to this thread unless I've made 5 posts, and it's a beautiful & clear macro close-up ....without the photo, you guys cannot see what I am referring to ....??? ......my only option now is someone popping the top off their 46091-1155 starter button housing and sharing a pic of the wire connections inside .....this was a very widely used starter button housing and assembly, on many Kawasaki in-line-4 bikes 1980 thru 1985 or so ...)

Last edited by Uncle Freddy; 05-21-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
circuit analysis

If you have a basic multi-meter you could check continuity (ohms scale) between the starter solenoid and the switch you're working on to determine the starter's wire. Using the same meter setting then determine the starter's push button screws by pushing the button and looking for the closure with the meter. All these readings with no power, circuit powered off. Then with the meter set to measure 12 volts you could turn on the ignition and (with the meter's black lead to ground) check for 12 volts in the starter switch. Maybe then you can figure how the push button completes the path from 12 volts to the starter solenoid. I had a nice little drawing to include but this isn't letting me attach it.
Hope this helps and not too confusing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks DannZ, not confusing at all, just a ton of work that would have been avoided with a simple cell phone pic before I tore the starter button housing inners apart !!! worse yet: the red hot lead in there fits perfect under both screws that are securing the parts in there ....there is a guy with this exact part, OEM and brand new, for sale on eBay and I've asked him to simply pop the top, take a pic and send it to me .....no go from him yet ....before I get my multimeter involved, I'm going to fly by my local Kawasaki dealer and see if their bigger shop manuals show exactly where the red hot lead screws down in the starter button housing, as the Clymer manuals really are terrible in regards to really breaking things down & showing things, especially electrical & wiring ....appreciate your reply .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 PM
BTK Expert

The Kawasaki service manual assumes a certain level of training & competence and probably isn't going to show the internals of the handlebar control switch, so you're going to have to use the wiring diagram, multimeter & your wits to figure it out.

From the Kawasaki wiring diagram for the 82-83 KZ650-H2/H3, pressing the start button completes the circuit between red & black, so it sounds like you have it connected correctly. The diagram seems to indicate that there's only one other wire for the RH handlebar control >> yellow-red >> this wire supplies power from the ignition switch to the run-stop switch or kill switch; then red carries the power from the RH handlebar control to the ignition coils. There's a jumper or connection between the kill switch & start button red terminal. The kill switch interrupts power between the yellow-red wire & red.

I would get the Kawasaki service manual. The 81-83 manual can be hard to find, but you could get the 81-82 KZ650 manual then save & print out the 83 supplement >> the 83 supplement is 1 page plus 2 Euro wiring diagrams. that's it.
I scanned the supplement page & linked it at the KZ650 dot Info site. Here it is:

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Last edited by martin-csr; 05-22-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:37 AM

Garage
Please ignore, no photo attachment or option for deleting post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DannZ; 05-23-2019 at 03:41 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 PM

Garage
video of switch connections

I saw a video on YouTube that reminded me of this post.
Go in a couple of minutes where the guy opens the throttle switch assembly and you can see the connections. Don't know if it will help or I'm too late but here it is for future reference if needed.
(If the forum will allow the URL attachment, that is)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page