ZX600C/GPX600R Power differences - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb ZX600C/GPX600R Power differences

Hello,

I've been looking all around the internet to find the difference between the C models in regards of engine power. I know the earliest models make about 85HP, which would then go down to ~77 in 1993 and later models and even further down 73 in 1996. AFAIK, the first change was because of technical reasons and the second one because insurance laws made it harder to insure bikes of 75 and above horsepower. Also AFAIK, this only concerns models made in Europe, the US versions were always ~85HP.

The thing is, I have a 95 model and would like to make the most of my bike (making a custom out of it, so it will be staying with me for a couple more years at least), but I do not know what parts I should swap from an earlier model version. The most obvious thing would be the CDI/head/cams/carbs/jets/airbox, but I checked the part diagrams for all the model years from 88 to 97, and every mentioned part has exactly the same number, no difference between them, and I am lost. I only have a Haynes manual, which does not state the differences between model years. Now, I know the original Kawasaki manuals have EVERYTHING mentioned in them, I saw one for the ZX-10 Tomcat, and every little bit of difference between model years and even country specific versions is mentioned. The problem is finding it. There aren't any in second-hand sale in my country (Poland), so obviously I decided to call the Polish division of Kawasaki to buy one. The salesman checked and told me they won't sell me one, as they do not have any, BUT as it is a very old bike, he'll just send me an email with an electronic copy, no charge. After a week of waiting I called them back, but the guy told me... they do not have it. So he wrote to the Netherlands division about it and told me to wait a bit more.

...then he called me two weeks later, to say that the Netherlands division does not have one either, and they wrote directly to Japan. Needless to say, I'm still waiting for my copy, two months passed.

But, while I'm waiting, maybe someone out there has a copy from 1993 or later and would be kind enough to check the specifications and tell me what the change is? Is it the valve timing? Ignition? I seriously doubt a ~10HP difference on jet sizes, but I'm really trying to grasp a leg of hope here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

It seems the engines were changed around 94 or 95 and the newer version had more power.
Looking at motorcycle specs the bore and stroke is different between the 93 and 95 models and so is the power output.

This is a good site to look up specs on a lot of the old bikes.
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/

Just checking the '89-'93 compared to the '95-'96 models shows quite a bit of difference in engines.
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...x600r%2089.htm
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo..._zx6r%2095.htm

1986 LTD 454
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey kawpaul, thanks for answering. I've known the MotorcycleSpecs page for some time now, thanks. Still, the bikes you are comparing are the Ninja 600R (also known as the GPX, which I have) and the Ninja ZX-6R, which is a completely different bike, a newer one, and more powerful at that.

Still, thank you for trying to help, I hope someone with an original service manual can maybe answer my question.

Also, as an update, the Polish division of Kawasaki told me, that if Japan did not answer them in 4 weeks time, then there is no hope of getting the manual, which breaks my heart. I will continue looking for one or eBay or something. If someone has one for sale and knows how to ship to Poland, then I would be very grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

An update - there is no possibility of getting a service manual in my country. Kawasaki told me to look elsewhere, for example eBay, as polish trading sites do not have any either.

Well, I did look on eBay, but the only things I see are service manual SUPPLEMENTS (?) for the ZX600A, B and C1 models, from around 1988. What I need is a service manual from at least 1993, is there anyone here who has one and would like to sell AND ship to Poland? This is a legit question, as I have no other options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page