1986 Kawasaki ninja 1000r Problems Need Help - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Question 1986 Kawasaki ninja 1000r Problems Need Help

Hi, so I'm new to this but I'm currently having a couple of issues that are arising with the bike that I just bought. Any help would be appreciated and I understand that you can only go off so much from me just telling you what I'm experiencing. So the Issues are when I start the bike it starts fine and idles high then eventually comes down, but every so often I'll be riding and the bike will start idling high again and sometimes it will just do that for a minute then it goes back down, or else i have to almost lean the carb out a little bit for it to fall. I want to say this is just a vacuum leak but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to truly go off of my assumption. Secondly I'll be riding the bike and as I go up the rpm's only between about 3500 and 4000 the bike will sputter, then after I get above it'll move perfectly fine again like theres no issues. Thats my only issues at the moment any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:12 AM
BTK Expert

These are really very old bikes, and you don't say if it had been sitting for long time. If so, it probably needs carbs cleaned for sure. Thht might help the sputtering

...idling changing does sound like a possible vacuum leak, but there is not much to the vacuum lines, assuming the carb boots are in good shape. Don't know much about your particular bike, but in general vacuum operates the fuel petcock, and the Kawasaki "Kleen" system for polution (air into the exhaust valves, through the valve cover). Because the bike is very old, all of this could be sources of leaks, but is not very difficult to find it.

......don't promote pollution, but the 'Kleen" system could also be eliminated for simplicity.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:00 AM
BTK Expert

The wandering rpms could be a vacuum leak. Assuming a stock airbox and not the individual pod filters:
Make sure that everything for the airbox is present & fitted properly >> see diagrams at Partzilla for your bike.

I would replace the air filter element & make sure the airbox cap fits right & isn't cracked or anything.
Check the airbox ducts to see if they're soft >> hard ducts may not seal properly.

You might be able to find vacuum leaks by running the engine & spraying carb cleaner or silicone spray on the ducts & carb holders or any place else where air could enter where it's not supposed to. Changes in rpm while spraying may indicate where a leak is. California models had an evaporative canister system with various hoses & connections.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:50 AM
BTK Expert

Pour a bottle of Gumout for high mileage engines with PEA in the gas tank and run it through. It will help clean up the carbs. Check the diaphragms and sliders. One or more of them may be sticking a bit or have a small hole in the diaphragm.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:18 AM

I may know a trick. I would maybe let it run rich a little and if you feel like you can, then I would suggest cleaning the carb. Also the idling could be a sign that you need to clean the carb. Hope I helped somewhat. Also for cleaning the carb make sure you refer to your owners manual or the internet to get the proper instructions for taking it apart.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Idle sounds like a vacuum leak. I would inspect the carb boots. The miss at 3500-4000, when at that rpm, slowly pull the choke lever a little and see if it clears the sputter. I am betting the carbs need a fresh clean.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Ok so a little update, I ended up taking off the carbs and cleaned them. They ended up having alot of gunk and what not in them. Then I kinda just cleaned up the outside wd-40 and what not to clean it up and kinda just lube it all up, But getting back to the point I after cleaning them all the seals and everything else was good and the bike drives much better with almost no sputtering now. Only when im going slow in a higher gear but thats kinda expected. But theres something on the bike that I dont have much experience with being that there is a dyna 2000 module hooked up to the bike and I don't know if any the issues might even have to do with that. Also on another note the jets in the carbs are bigger than what they're supposed to be. There 140's instead of I believe 138's. But thank you everyone for your feedback and help so far!! Oh and after going through your guys suggestions again the air box isn't stock, there is two k&n dual air intakes and the bike has the kawasaki kleen air delete if you know what thats all about.

Last edited by GhostxXxProdigy; 07-14-2019 at 12:19 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM
BTK Expert

Removing the Kawasaki clean air system shouldn't be a problem, just so long as the ports are plugged.

The aftermarket air intake means the bike probably isn't going to run smooth at all rpms. You'll probably need to verify what all was done to the carburetors. I would search the internet to see if there are any suggested jetting setups. I would also check the spark plugs to make sure it isn't running lean & check K&N to see what sort of maintenance/cleaning the air filters require.

As for the the Dyna 2000, the Dynatek website should have an instruction manual pdf.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page