2005 zx6r bad camshaft chain? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DannZ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

2005 zx6r bad camshaft chain?

I got a 2005 zx636 2 months ago and have gotten it running but then have been trying to eliminate the bad sounding cam chain noise. It had a manual tensioner when i got it so went to a good auto tensioner, then brought another not messed up manual tensioner and couldnt get rid of the noise there. After that i found out the previous person working on it had destroyed the cam chain guide on the tensioner side so i replaced that with a good one and the noise went away a little but is still there and any of the tensioners are almost maxed out to get tension on it. The bike supposedly has only 6198 miles but looks like someone went to replace cam shaft chain before and cut the guard to keep it on crankshaft sprocket and they may have previously split the case cause of the gasket maker. So what im trying to ask is does it sound like a bad chain?

Sb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
Just from reading your description it sounds like the chain is too big.
Srb282 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM
BTK Expert

Cam chain is worn out. Replace it, and both of the cam sprockets, the tensioner, both guides and it should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Sadly i found another worse issue after the original post lol. It has destroyed cylinder 4 bearing and crank journal so now i have to fix that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page