Z1000 Owners????? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
BTK Expert

Z1000 Owners?????

I don't know enough about this bike, I read the cycleworld review but it was not what I wanted to know exactly. Currently I am riding a Ninja 250 and am looking for a street machine. I like the zx10r, zx6r, but I want something that takes on the streets well with low to middle end power and a comfortable ride with sport power and style. I pulled up next to a 2008 Z1000 and it looked and sounded awesome!!!!!! I love the way the bike looks on the street, it sounds like it handles well too. I was just wondering who loves their Z1000 and why? Are you comfortable on longer rides 1hr plus?

Thanks for your imput!

07 Ninja 250R Silver- mucho mods....
06 CBR F4i Blue- Stock
Next: Ninja 636 or ZX6r Green!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
nu2kawi
Forum Supporter

I like mine. I can't compare it to other sport type bikes. It handles well, it's rather strong. I like the stock sound. No prob for me to take a couple hour ride. I guess I got more use to the seat. I don't do twisties with it but it feels like it could do well. Maybe not as well as bikes made for that kind of stuff. It can go fast...Some guy in a new Vet, yelled out to me 140 when we came to a stop. I wasn't racing him, but for some reason he was paceing me, and I didn't want to give it any more throttle, cause I was chicken. Wind screen really helps. eidien has done quite a bit to his, and is more familiar with this bike and I'm sure he rides his more than I ride mine. I'm 6'-0 and around 195.

07, Z1000
01, XVS1100LC Yam cust.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:07 AM

I love mine! If you're on a twisty ride 1 hour is no problem. If it's all freeway, your butt will asleep. It's still a fairly sporty riding position. I switched from a couple 600s and am liking the Z way better. Check out RiderForums for more info.

2007 Kawasaki Z1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 AM
AlphaZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ride View Post
I don't know enough about this bike, I read the cycleworld review but it was not what I wanted to know exactly. Currently I am riding a Ninja 250 and am looking for a street machine. I like the zx10r, zx6r, but I want something that takes on the streets well with low to middle end power and a comfortable ride with sport power and style. I pulled up next to a 2008 Z1000 and it looked and sounded awesome!!!!!! I love the way the bike looks on the street, it sounds like it handles well too. I was just wondering who loves their Z1000 and why? Are you comfortable on longer rides 1hr plus?

Thanks for your imput!
I like mine. It's great for 300 to 400 mile rides, which would kill me on my GSXR! The Z's biggest weakness is it's suspension! It's awful! In the twisties (at a good clip) you'll often get wheel hop, wobbles and other ill mannered handling behaviors! If you're a commuter or don't ride the canyons much or hard, it would probably be ok...

Engine performance is good, but don't try to hang with 750 or 1000cc sport bikes! They will leave you for dead!

Why did I buy one?

1) True Sport Bikes (I love 'em for an hour or so,) are way too uncomfortable!!! If you really ride a Super Sport for any extended period of time, it hurts you!

2) I grew up on Kawi inline-fours and I liked the looks.

If I was going to buy another bike though, it would be either a Ducati HyperMotard or a KTM SuperDuke. They're both a tad on the ugly side, but they are both great handling motorcycles!
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

The Z1 was the perfect upgrade for me after starting on the 500R. My check list in order of importance for my second bike was:
  1. Ergos (check out my pics with the bike: https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...g-up-bike.html)
  2. Low and mid-range power
  3. Fuel injected in-line 4
  4. Adjustable suspension
  5. Looks

The Z1 fit the bill perfectly. If you looked at the thread that I linked to you can see that the bike fits me perfectly. I've done 200 mile rides 60% twisties/40% freeway with absolutely no fatigue on the Z1--I've done 260 miles on the 500R with 70% twisties/30% freeway and bailed out of a turn and hit a dirt berm...inexperience was one small factor but the main culprit was fatigue. On the 500R, I noticed that I showed the same symptoms of fatigue that my friend did on his Ducati ST2 at the same time (we would stretch our legs or bend our wrists on straight aways while riding at the same time); when I rode with him again on the same roads on the Z1, I felt like a million bucks when I saw him stretching his legs and bending his wrists, so I know that my decision to focus on ergos paid off. I get off of the Z1 with two side effects after a long ride: 1) ringing in my ears and 2) a stiff butt (yes I agree, that seat is really a wooden plank with some material covering on it).

As for the suspension, I'm no expert but I did experience a very slight wobble once when I was decelerating from about 65 to 35 using engine braking once in the twisties, this might be what AlphaZed mentioned. I've got 3,800 miles on the bike now and I guess I'm used to the suspension but I really do want to get it adjusted for me. My guess is that is if all you've ridden is the 250R, you're going to find the suspension to be more than adequate--probably even more so if you get it adjusted.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Non Omnis Moriar
BTK Expert

I wanted one bad, or at least wanted to sit on one and see how it felt. Unfortunately, they are near impossible to find within a 5-hour radius of here so I gave up on it.

Good luck.

I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM
MOM Sept 2006
Forum Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to ervins
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ride View Post

Thanks for your imput!

This morning on my commute cruising around 80, I got passed up by a 08 Z1000...I of course sped to ride up to it and looked at it...Thumbed up the guy on it and waved and went to work...I love the way that bike looks...Eidian on the road that bike looks robust and bad arse...I would buy one. I sat on one at the bike show last year and liked the ergos. A tad tall for me but I am sure I could make the bike fit me. A 10R is comfy on the road for me but I needed rearsets to make it even better.

Black 2006 ZX-10R

post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
AlphaZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidian View Post
The Z1 was the perfect upgrade for me after starting on the 500R. My check list in order of importance for my second bike was:
  1. Ergos (check out my pics with the bike: https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...g-up-bike.html)
  2. Low and mid-range power
  3. Fuel injected in-line 4
  4. Adjustable suspension
  5. Looks

The Z1 fit the bill perfectly. If you looked at the thread that I linked to you can see that the bike fits me perfectly. I've done 200 mile rides 60% twisties/40% freeway with absolutely no fatigue on the Z1--I've done 260 miles on the 500R with 70% twisties/30% freeway and bailed out of a turn and hit a dirt berm...inexperience was one small factor but the main culprit was fatigue. On the 500R, I noticed that I showed the same symptoms of fatigue that my friend did on his Ducati ST2 at the same time (we would stretch our legs or bend our wrists on straight aways while riding at the same time); when I rode with him again on the same roads on the Z1, I felt like a million bucks when I saw him stretching his legs and bending his wrists, so I know that my decision to focus on ergos paid off. I get off of the Z1 with two side effects after a long ride: 1) ringing in my ears and 2) a stiff butt (yes I agree, that seat is really a wooden plank with some material covering on it).

As for the suspension, I'm no expert but I did experience a very slight wobble once when I was decelerating from about 65 to 35 using engine braking once in the twisties, this might be what AlphaZed mentioned. I've got 3,800 miles on the bike now and I guess I'm used to the suspension but I really do want to get it adjusted for me. My guess is that is if all you've ridden is the 250R, you're going to find the suspension to be more than adequate--probably even more so if you get it adjusted.
To put it another way, Kawasaki could have made the Z1000 a GREAT bike, but instead, they used dumbed-down ZX-9 technology, a rubber band frame and throw away suspension components. Had they created a naked bike based on ZX-10 technology and components, they would have hit the nail on the head! Even with the neutered ZX-9 motor, if it had the frame, suspension and brakes of the 10, we'd have the perfect motorcycle!

I love the looks of my Z and the ergos, but I'm undecided on whether I'll spend the $2000 to $3000 on the suspension to fix it or just sell it.

As advertised, the Z1000 "sounds" like the perfect naked bike and just one notch down from a true sport bike. But as someone who could directly compare (a GSXR and the Z,) I can tell you it's not even close! I will admit, of 13,000 miles I've put on mine, they've been a lot more comfortable than any I put on my GSXR or Ducati! Still, if Kawasaki had just made the Z handle, I'd be singing praises instead of ranting about it!

I do like to look at them though!
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
AlphaZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretbuzz View Post
I wanted one bad, or at least wanted to sit on one and see how it felt. Unfortunately, they are near impossible to find within a 5-hour radius of here so I gave up on it.

Good luck.
Buy mine and I'll ride it to Texas for ya!
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

I like to describe the Z1000 as looking like it could "...rip the balls off of the Cloverfield monster...".

ervins, you are the master of performance mods so there's no doubt in my mind that you could get a Z1 to be as bad @ss as your ZX-10R. A couple of weeks ago a guy on a '08 Daytona actually caught up to me to ask me what I was riding. He couldn't get over the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins View Post
This morning on my commute cruising around 80, I got passed up by a 08 Z1000...I of course sped to ride up to it and looked at it...Thumbed up the guy on it and waved and went to work...I love the way that bike looks...Eidian on the road that bike looks robust and bad arse...I would buy one. I sat on one at the bike show last year and liked the ergos. A tad tall for me but I am sure I could make the bike fit me. A 10R is comfy on the road for me but I needed rearsets to make it even better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page