1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob9876

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
1985 ZN 700 LTD
BTK Beginner

Garage
What To Wear

Hello. Was wondering what to wear when it's 85-90 and humid 200-mile day trip mostly highway. Tee shirt, light windbreaker, leather jacket, denim jacket??? Any help appreciated. Going in August planning ahead. Oh yeah, open face bike no faring ZN700 LTD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Man, in August I'll be begging for it to get down to 95/95 degrees/humidity. Things I've found;

- black shirts may be badazz but light colors reflect sunlight better;
- loose fitting is better but not floppy;
- my bike is much hotter with shorts, I wear loose fitting jeans;
- my faves of late are Dickies hi-viz green and orange shirts from WalMart, 1 size too big.

This is one of those things IMHO where you try stuff now and kinda find what works for you. Don't forget the sunscreen, especially the back of the neck! Please DAMHIK.

Prepare for the ATGATT fanatics to pipe in, there's always the ones who feel the need to tell others how to dress. I've found over the last 10 yrs that they often stay home in the heat rather than bake in the gear. Their choice, I'd rather ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator note- personal attacks need not apply and will be deleted.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.

Last edited by rbentnail; 05-29-2018 at 08:34 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:52 AM
BTK Expert

I'm in Texas and most of my rides are at least 125 miles, and going 225 miles or more is not uncommon.
It's hot at least 5-6 months out of the year. August is probably the worst, but I always just accept that it's going to be hot.

I wear an HJC FF helmet with bandana underneath & bandana around the neck.
White long sleeve shirt with Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket. Leather gloves with armor.
Levis blue jeans. Fabric/suede hiking boots (leather boots are just too hot).
Sometimes when I'm just riding around town, I skip the jacket & jeans, and wear high top B-ball shoes.

Whenever possible or whenever there is a choice, I choose a route or a lane that has shade.
When stopping, I always stop in the shade, and when I stop for fuel, I only use a pump where it's shady. often times there's at least one gasoline pump that doesn't have shade & every now n then I come across a service station that doesn't have covered pumps so I never stop in those places. When I park, I remove my helmet, gloves & neck bandana immediately & unzip or remove my mc jacket.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:12 PM
BTK Beginner

I had a similar question just last weekend as I was preparing to leave for a 3 day trip. I posted the question in the Concours forum, and there was some good discussion there on high temperatures and how, though it may seem counter-intuitive, jackets that keep moisture in can actually keep you cooler above certain temps. Here's the discussion thread:

Which Jacket to Take
marlin60 likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
1985 ZN 700 LTD
BTK Beginner

Garage
Thanks to all, good stuff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
I'm in Texas and most of my rides are at least 125 miles, and going 225 miles or more is not uncommon.
It's hot at least 5-6 months out of the year. August is probably the worst, but I always just accept that it's going to be hot.

I wear an HJC FF helmet with bandana underneath & bandana around the neck.
White long sleeve shirt with Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket. Leather gloves with armor.
Levis blue jeans. Fabric/suede hiking boots (leather boots are just too hot).
Sometimes when I'm just riding around town, I skip the jacket & jeans, and wear high top B-ball shoes.

Whenever possible or whenever there is a choice, I choose a route or a lane that has shade.
When stopping, I always stop in the shade, and when I stop for fuel, I only use a pump where it's shady. often times there's at least one gasoline pump that doesn't have shade & every now n then I come across a service station that doesn't have covered pumps so I never stop in those places. When I park, I remove my helmet, gloves & neck bandana immediately & unzip or remove my mc jacket.
Martin! You are a Texan? What town?

BTW: I don't much care what I wear but areas of skin that exposed to the first of the summer sun need to be covered in something. I also wear clean underwear as my momma told me that if I am in a wreck and go to the hospital, they don't want to see.... well you get the idea.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:40 AM
BTK Expert

H-Town. I rarely get as far as San Antonio and actually don't get out to the Hill country often enough.
When I do, I usually go to Washington-on-the-Brazos, then take the La Bahia Trail to Lake Summerville.
It takes about an hour just to get out of Houston, so I tend to ride the Gulf Coast.
even then it takes about 30-mins of riding to get clear of the cars.

ps: I envy your location.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM

I'm one of those ATGATT'ers, but that's just personal preference, as I feel it's your choice what to wear. That said...

In really hot weather, I'm usually in a perforated leather jacket. Once I'm rolling, the air flows really well through it, while still giving plenty of protection from sun, debris, and the possible 'off'. However, as it's black, it does absorb the sun quite a bit when stopped. If it's really hot, I've been known to pour half a bottle of water down around the neck, and the airflow through the jacket will cool me off quite nicely as the water evaporates and pulls heat from the body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page